Premed 101 Forums

Question About Gpa Admissions

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can help me. I read on the site that the courses per year should be 3 of them at the same level year of study. I am currently taking a year off and when I start my next year (supposedly 3rd year) , I will be taking 2nd year courses as I cannot take 3rd year courses without the prereqs. Would that mean I would not meet the minimum GPA requirement of my best two years? 

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can help me. I read on the site that the courses per year should be 3 of them at the same level year of study. I am currently taking a year off and when I start my next year (supposedly 3rd year) , I will be taking 2nd year courses as I cannot take 3rd year courses without the prereqs. Would that mean I would not meet the minimum GPA requirement of my best two years? 

Thanks!

if you are starting though your second actual year of university then that is not a 3rd year, it is a second year 

Of course these are the sort of thing you should check with the office on :) in my experience you should be fine.

If you took a year off after first year then you're only going to be starting your second year of university next year, so it should be fine. But if you've already done two years and you'll be starting your third year of university next year then you'd have to follow the 3/5 rule. Also when they say 3.0 out of 5.0 courses must be the same level of year of study, it means 6 courses out of 10, not 3, FYI.

I was told that the 3/5 courses just had to be in "upper year", so 3rd year courses would count towards the 3/5 if you're in fourth year. How fucked am I if I have 2.5 fourth year courses and 0.5 third year courses in my fourth year?? I have to take a lot of second year courses because I'm also doing a certificate in addition to my BSc.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me :( 

I was told that the 3/5 courses just had to be in "upper year", so 3rd year courses would count towards the 3/5 if you're in fourth year. How fucked am I if I have 2.5 fourth year courses and 0.5 third year courses in my fourth year?? I have to take a lot of second year courses because I'm also doing a certificate in addition to my BSc.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me :(

not in any problem at all actually as I understand it - you are allowed 3rd year courses in your fourth year and they count the same as 4th year ones towards the 3/5 credit rule.

• In your 4th year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year-level or above. Note: A mix of 3rd and 4th year courses to make up the 3 full course equivalents is acceptable in the fourth year

That is directly from Westerns admission site. 

Archived