Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Waterloo Optometry

yych208

Hi,

I was wondering what are the chances of getting into Waterloo OD program with:

~3.25 OMSAS GPA

pretty prestige Canadian school (don't know if it matters)

amazing lab experiences

Haven't taken the OAT yet but would a high score offset the low GPA?

Thanks in advance for helping!

Honestly a 3.25 GPA is pretty low. It doesnt really matter what canadian school you went to because there have been people accepted from really small schools. I dont know what that GPA translates into a percent average but the average to get into Waterloo is fairly high (85-90%). Might be best to take more classes to improve your grades and/ or do really well on the OAT

Hi,

I was wondering what are the chances of getting into Waterloo OD program with:

~3.25 OMSAS GPA

pretty prestige Canadian school (don't know if it matters)

amazing lab experiences

Haven't taken the OAT yet but would a high score offset the low GPA?

Thanks in advance for helping!

• 2 weeks later...
https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-vision-science/future-optometry-students/frequently-asked-questions

Q: Does it matter what university I attend?  Do I have to go to University of Waterloo to be accepted into the Waterloo Doctor of Optometry program?

A: The Admissions Committee does not consider the university of origin (where you’re applying from) in their admission decision nor do they have quotas from other provinces or countries. The Admissions Committee does not give University of Waterloo students preferential treatment over applicants from other universities. We are looking for work to be done in the faculty of science or health science, and completed with a full course load (5 courses per term for minimum 6 terms).

Q: If I don’t have at least a 90% average, will I be considered for admission? A: Applicants require an overall undergraduate university average of at least 75% to be considered for admission. Grades from Graduate programs are not included in the overall average. Historically, applicants who have been admitted to the program have had averages of 79% to 92%. Achieving a very high academic average does not guarantee your admission, just as a lower academic average does not necessarily exclude you from being admitted.

^ This is all from their website.

Archived