Premed 101 Forums

Ethical Scenarios Freezing

Hi guys,

I had a panel interview and the ethical scenarios given weren't controversial but oddly said to me (I would have had to take notes as she was talking..!!) and you bet.. I had no structured answer. They basically asked what would I do in this scenario but didn't ask me to say the pros and cons etc. I did answer and gave a few key points that turned out to be the right thing to do after some research. My answers came out as flustered and short (30 seconds max.. With lots of silence and thinking), and I was thinking a lot in front of them. Overall it wasn't great and I thought I did poorly afterwards because of those ethical scenarios. I'm really saddened that they expect you to give a straight up answer however I remained calm and stayed myself. I had no time to practice much for ethical scenarios and Doing Right helped but won't make you a pro. Could anyone share with me their experience with ethical scenarios...Do they really expect you tongive them a super well structured answer? That's not even human I think.. I really really am disappointed and I need some help.. Thank you. I try to focus on the positive sides of my interview but I'm stressed about this.

I had a somewhat similar experience at a panel interview. The person telling me the scenario kept going back and changing/adding details, jumping all over the place in their depiction of the scenario, and I had the faintest idea of what exactly was going on! The "explanation" of this scenario seemed to take almost a full minute, and so by the time the person finished, I couldn't muster the courage/tenacity to ask them to repeat it. In retrospect, it probably would've been better to ask for clarification/repeat!

Remember, they expect everyone to be nervous. I don't think what you've described is the death sentence you're making it out to be -- not by any stretch of the imagination! I'm assuming this was for Ottawa, so the only thing we can do now is wait until next week. If it makes you feel any better, sometimes we don't judge our performance accurately; I know of people who cried in sadness and frustration after what felt like a brutal panel at Ottawa, only to be accepted first round! I say keep up your hope!

I had a somewhat similar experience at a panel interview. The person telling me the scenario kept going back and changing/adding details, jumping all over the place in their depiction of the scenario, and I had the faintest idea of what exactly was going on! The "explanation" of this scenario seemed to take almost a full minute, and so by the time the person finished, I couldn't muster the courage/tenacity to ask them to repeat it. In retrospect, it probably would've been better to ask for clarification/repeat!

Remember, they expect everyone to be nervous. I don't think what you've described is the death sentence you're making it out to be -- not by any stretch of the imagination! I'm assuming this was for Ottawa, so the only thing we can do now is wait until next week. If it makes you feel any better, sometimes we don't judge our performance accurately; I know of people who cried in sadness and frustration after what felt like a brutal panel at Ottawa, only to be accepted first round! I say keep up your hope!

Archived