Premed 101 Forums

How Much Mandatory In - Class Time?

Congrats to everyone that was selected this round!

I was wondering if any current students could chime in here :ive heard a lot about the vodcasts and how missing a lecture isn't the end of the world. However, I also know they're is tons of small group learning. My question is, on average, how many hours per day or week is your presence actually mandatory?

I'm sure this will spark some controversy, as there are hundreds of other people happy to sit in on every single second of available schooling, but I currently work full time and did so throughout my Masters. I'd prefer to not have to completely give up all aspects of my life to attend lectures that I could watch on weekends through the online portal. After all, we were accepted based on our achievements and current work, so why make us give it up.

I was wondering if any current students could chime in here :ive heard a lot about the vodcasts and how missing a lecture isn't the end of the world. However, I also know they're is tons of small group learning. My question is, on average, how many hours per day or week is your presence actually mandatory?

I'm sure this will spark some controversy, as there are hundreds of other people happy to sit in on every single second of available schooling, but I currently work full time and did so throughout my Masters. I'd prefer to not have to completely give up all aspects of my life to attend lectures that I could watch on weekends through the online portal. After all, we were accepted based on our achievements and current work, so why make us give it up.

You're in for a rude awakening come medicine... hope you enjoy being coddled and have your time wasted/not valued :D 

In all seriousness, if you have a choice between schools - go with the one with the least amount of mandatory time/lecture recordings.   Some schools are better than others. But most people don't have a choice of schools, so its just something you live with.

Yeah, you're really not going to have time outside of medicine to work. I know maybe one person in my class who works one day a week. Everyone else I know quit their jobs about two weeks in because it was too much.

That being said, you do have time for lots of extra curriculars, but if you use that time for working you WILL be burned out and miserable imho.

Be prepared for mandatory 8-5 Monday through Friday for the first two months of school. It isn't so bad with mandatory after that. But you essentially have mandatory things everyday of the week, even if it isn't all day.

Every week is different. But after November, you have discovery learning Monday Wednesday and Friday for two hours. That's most of the mandatory small group learning. The rest of the mandatory small group is random depending on the block.

DM me for more info :)

For me; I have more free time to do things I want to do, while simultaneously having my life controlled by MedSIS

If you want hard numbers...... average 8 to 15, sometimes more. It's at minimum a part-time job in terms of mandatory attendance outside of studying on your own time. I don't recommend working more than 10 hours/ wk from personal experience (I do that currently with my business ventures). 

That said I do recall the first years having mandatory classes all throughout intro so it is 8-5 minimum for around 2 months. 

- G

Yeah, you're really not going to have time outside of medicine to work. I know maybe one person in my class who works one day a week. Everyone else I know quit their jobs about two weeks in because it was too much.

That being said, you do have time for lots of extra curriculars, but if you use that time for working you WILL be burned out and miserable imho.

Be prepared for mandatory 8-5 Monday through Friday for the first two months of school. It isn't so bad with mandatory after that. But you essentially have mandatory things everyday of the week, even if it isn't all day.

Every week is different. But after November, you have discovery learning Monday Wednesday and Friday for two hours. That's most of the mandatory small group learning. The rest of the mandatory small group is random depending on the block.

DM me for more info :)

For me; I have more free time to do things I want to do, while simultaneously having my life controlled by MedSIS

I'd disagree with not being able to work at all - a non-insignificant number of people work at my medical school.  I would say though, it really is only worth it if you're making good money (i.e. past professional career or self-employed), and the hours are flexible... or if you just show up to work, and can not do very much and study leisurely.     I'd say cap yourself off at 10-15hrs/week. 

I wouldn't personally work for anything less than 30$/hr. Most of my classmates who do work, work 2 shifts a week making more than that.    Some work 1 shift a week, but make far less than that.... not sure why, but they choose to. Sometimes it's to keep some connections outside of medicine, or just enjoy the job.

Archived