Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2017

Unfortunately, looks like that office closure notification applies to grad medical studies, not the admissions office of the undergraduate medical education program (http://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions)

But that doesn't change the fact that no one has posted waitlist movement here (or on the poll) :(

Hang in there everyone!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations!

If you don't mind us asking, what was your wGPA?

EDIT: Also, which stream were you in? Please help out us waitlisters :P

English. I think my wGPA on OMSAS is like 3.97 or 95 or something. I kinda blew my interview so I had low expectations, but I got lucky! And thank you, haha :)

I just got a call on my home phone but I wasn't able to respond. So nervous right now - do they call back, or do I just assume that an email will come back. For some reason I can't see my caller history on my home phone.

Edit: It was a private number, so I'm not sure if it's actually them :(.

Is it safe to assume that they will only call during business hours or do they work later during waitlist calling period?? I feel like 60-90 people is a whack ton to call!

Most likely it will continue tomorrow since they were closed for half the day! Let's hang in there! 

I KEEP GETTING A CALL FROM AREA CODE 905 AND NO ONE IS ON THE LINE what kind of sick torture. And then when I look it up it says "southern Ontario". That shouldn't be the Ottawa area code right? I'm from OOP my province just has one area code Hahah

That is a Hamilton area code - did you interview at McMaster? 

Everyone is ranked by interview score and the tiebreaker is your wGPA is the information I received (they add your interview score and wGPA, but since everyones GPA is pretty close it's effectively just a tie breaker)

In previous years, us premed101'ers have figured out from a variety of sources how UOttawa ranks applicants post interview. They would give you an interview score out of 4.0, but it's binned to 0.5, so you can get 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, etc. Your interview score out of 4 is directly added to your wGPA out of 4 to determine your final interview score, and offers are made in that order. I'm pretty sure no one is interviewed with a 3.50 GPA or less, so an applicant with a higher interview score is guaranteed to rank higher than another applicant with a lower score. Therefore, your interview score mostly determines if you'll get an offer, and the GPA is a tie breaker.

​So, last year, for example (search waitlist support 2016 in the uottawa forum), they started at 3.97 went down to like 3.92, then went back to 4.00 and went down to 3.97 ish. So the waitlist went through one bin and a little more than that. There is a lot of evidence that this is how it works, and the premed101 trend backs this up. Probably all 4.0 applicants, all 3.5 applicants, and the 3.0 applicants with the highest wGPAs get offers on May 9th. Then everyone else is waitlisted, and they go down their rank list as offers are declined.

​So far, we have a 3.97 and a 3.95, so they're making their way down this bin. I have a 3.98, so I'm definitely not in this bin or I would have gotten an offer already. Unless I'm in the very next "bin" I probably won't be getting an offer at all :(

​Lastly, there are separate waitlists for each admission stream (French, English, CNFS).

Archived