Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2017

So if we haven't heard anything by now, does that mean there's no hope for us? :(

There's definitely hope. There's usually movement until the end of June I think (or even beyond that?). Good luck everyone!

I can't believe it. This is the second year in a row that they have forgotten to call me.

LOL

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ottawa has definitely changed its game. 

Hello MCAT :'(

Do you mean for Ottawa? The uottawa website still says it is not required. The applications open up in July so it doesn't make sense for them to make it mandatory..

Do you mean for Ottawa? The uottawa website still says it is not required. The applications open up in July so it doesn't make sense for them to make it mandatory..

Yeah that has come up already - it is extremely unlikely it will be needed for the fall. 

Yeah that has come up already - it is extremely unlikely it will be needed for the fall. 

Blessed to be bilingual in the sense where I can just jump to the french stream if they implement it. That being said I'm seriously considering it with the way the english stream has been looking. I'm all for prestige and taking only the most dedicated students as future MD's but needing to ace the interview with any GPA below a 3.98 in order to get in is just crazy. Especially when provinces vary so much in education and institutions never grade the same (Some are known for serious grade deflation) it's a shame so much weight is given to the GPA. The french stream is full of extremely bright people but just less overall applicants leading to a much less skewed GPA needed to be competitive. 

I really like french too because of the smaller class size and in general to land positions in the future (rmorelan you would know more about this). A bilingual candidate for hospital positions will probably be preferred over only english speakers, esp. if you are talking admin positions in the east ontario hospitals. So it's definitely worth studying in french if you can (plus less competitive to get in!)

Mr Duck

They will undoubtedly go until early June, and there is always a few that will last minute drop. Last year someone got a call literally a day before classes. So there's always hope, but in the meantime it would be helpful to prepare for the worst case scenario and improve for next application cycle. Good luck!

Mr Duck

Very grateful for the info provided by Mr. Duck.  He was the one to break the "no good/bad waitlist" news, and has been key to helping applicants understand the state of the acceptance/waitlist movement.  

However, it is unfortunate that this info was forthcoming from an applicant, and not from the Faculty itself.  If anyone at the faculty is reading these forums, it may be worth considering a student poll of the entering class to assess reaction to the current process.  If comments on the forum are vald, it would seem that while the elimination of good/bad waitlist was done with the best of intentions, it has, possibly, created greater stress and uncertainty amongst most applicants.  Further, consideration should be given to the impact of "changing the rules" part way through the game (explaining good/bad lists at the interview info sessions, then changing course when it actually comes to admission decisions).  WHile the school can admit how and who they want, the ethics and integrity of this change should be considered. 

Hope good learning comes to those that have the power to make changes to either the process, or at least its communication. 

To those of you on the waitlist, you are all awesome candidates.  Don't let the black box of the admission process dissuade you from your dreams, or in any way make you question your self worth. 

(And no, I am not an applicant  :) ). 

Archived