Premed 101 Forums

2017 Waitlist Support Thread

Hi fellow waitlisters.  It is I, rural_roots, five-time legend of the waitlist.  Well it has been a tough morning of disappointment and a few tears, but ultimately my rational mind is telling me there is still hope and I need to try my very best to stay positive.  

I looked at my post from the waitlist support thread last year and the points I made still apply now and to all of us, so I have pasted them here:

1. Not knowing where I am on this waitlist means that there is still hope.  Hell, I could be #1 for all I know.  Therefore, DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE.

2. Not knowing where I am on this waitlist means I am incredibly dependent on premed101 for any information that can be at all helpful.  Therefore, Waitlist thread CREATED.

3. Waitlisters, and in particular LURKERS on here who have never posted on premed101 and have been waitlisted:  WELCOME! PLEASE POST!

Hang in there everybody.  I'm going to try and go for a swim and sauna today as those things make me happy.  I think time away from all of this even for a couple hours is going to be helpful.

RR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, guys!

I'm surprised at how little communication there is on the forum this year. Given point #2, I figured I would give you some information that might be helpful. So far there have been 26 students who have introduced themselves in the Facebook group. No one has mentioned anything about being accepted off the waitlist, but I will post here if that changes. 

It seems that there are a few forum-posters that have received multiple acceptances and I've heard of other friend-of-a-friends who received multiple offers as well. I hope this means the waitlist will start moving soon. I know multiple people on the waitlist this year and if I get wind of any acceptances, this is the first place I'll post  :)

I'm thinking of you guys! Hang in there... it is certainly not over yet.

I'm quite certain you could hear sooner. I'm under the impression that if one person declines their offer, someone on the waitlist is notified shortly after. If you look at the waitlist thread from last year, people started receiving acceptances off the waitlist a few days after first round offers. 

I'm quite certain you could hear sooner. I'm under the impression that if one person declines their offer, someone on the waitlist is notified shortly after. If you look at the waitlist thread from last year, people started receiving acceptances off the waitlist a few days after first round offers. 

There goes all the Zen I had! Exciting! 

I just wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for you all.  Many of you have reached out to me over the past application cycle but over the past week in particular.

I have been trying to steer away from premed101 the past few days as I try and get my head right.  I will be completely honest with you: although I try and post positive things for all of our benefit, I am still a human being and have had some pretty rock bottom moments over the past few days.  

Your kind messages of support really do help.  Thank you for continually motivating me to try my very hardest to remain hopeful and positive. It would be an honour to attend NOSM alongside you.

RR

Hello! First time waitlister here.....

....this sucks, a lot. 

HOWEVER, we should take the time this weekend to reflect on the fact that we were top 105 out of 2089 applicants. That means we were top 5%! Go us  :P I know this means less without an actual offer of admission but I know many people who either did not get interviews, or did not get wait listed. Let's keep the hope alive!

Happy Saturday! 

Hi all,

So far one person on the Facebook group has been accepted off the waitlist. Hang in there all! I know it takes a bit longer as well as they have to sort out those who want to transfer to the opposite campus

Did that person indicate if they were the first position off the waitlist or were they not told?

Did that person indicate if they were the first position off the waitlist or were they not told?

I don't believe that information is given. This person in particular didn't mention anything about waitlist position; however, they did mention that they were assigned to the west campus but are hoping to be transferred to the east.

pep talk time:

I interviewed 4 straight years at mac with no acceptance or wait list for the first 3 yrs , my first year applying-no interview

got accepted after my 4th interview attempt

why am I writing this: to give you all some hope that your time will come and 5th time was the charm for me

don't give up if this is what you want - it is easy to get discouraged especially when you are all so competitive to get in  and have to deal with this wait....

I've been there in rejection world,  if it's what you want........please don't give up on your dream   :)

Hi all, I've been a lurker of all Premed 101 NOSM forums for...wait for it...over 5 years!!!

I stumbled across the forums while researching NOSM when I was still in high school, trying to gain any bit of information and help to one day get me accepted into the school. I've enjoyed checking the forum every year, have gained valuable information, and have been cheering users on via cyberspace. And its all been in anticipation for now...

It was finally my chance to apply!

I graduated this year from my BScN, though I've known for as long as I can remember that I wanted to be a physician. I was so excited to apply this year, and had taken the last four years while completing my undergrad to prepare my application and continue doing volunteer work and exposing myself to the fascinating world of medicine! I was beyond thrilled to receive an invite to interview as I knew my chances of even being considered were slim. Post-interview, I felt pretty good and was content with the fact that up until now, I had done everything I could to make my application the best it could be. The wait felt long, and as May 9 drew closer I began facing the reality of getting the email. In my head i had prepared for the two (what I refer to as) "black" options: getting accepted or getting rejected.

I was not prepared for this "grey" we are stuck in.

The few days following were ups and downs, being thankful I did not receive a rejection, but being confused and deflated about being waitlisted. And now I have come to terms with it; I am making plans on the likelihood that I do not get in, but keeping my hopes up that there is a chance I will. I, like all of us, wish they still have the ranks, or at least a ballpark of where we were (if I was told I was in the top 1/4 or even top 1/2 I'd keep my hopes high). But regardless I know that this is not only what I want to do, but what I was meant to do, and I've made the joke that I will continue applying to NOSM until I die (or thereabouts). I believe that everything happens for a reason, and have to keep telling myself that as we move forward.

I finally decided to make an account and post because I get a real sense of community from this forum and figured that after many years of lurking I would make myself known!

I wish everyone the best of luck with getting off the waitlist! If this is what you really want then I encourage you to not give up! We're all in this together, and i'm looking forward to the information that is shared on here.

:) JASTG

Hi all, I've been a lurker of all Premed 101 NOSM forums for...wait for it...over 5 years!!!

I stumbled across the forums while researching NOSM when I was still in high school, trying to gain any bit of information and help to one day get me accepted into the school. I've enjoyed checking the forum every year, have gained valuable information, and have been cheering users on via cyberspace. And its all been in anticipation for now...

I graduated this year from my BScN, though I've known for as long as I can remember that I wanted to be a physician. I was so excited to apply this year, and had taken the last four years while completing my undergrad to prepare my application and continue doing volunteer work and exposing myself to the fascinating world of medicine! I was beyond thrilled to receive an invite to interview as I knew my chances of even being considered were slim. Post-interview, I felt pretty good and was content with the fact that up until now, I had done everything I could to make my application the best it could be. The wait felt long, and as May 9 drew closer I began facing the reality of getting the email. In my head i had prepared for the two (what I refer to as) "black" options: getting accepted or getting rejected.

The few days following were ups and downs, being thankful I did not receive a rejection, but being confused and deflated about being waitlisted. And now I have come to terms with it; I am making plans on the likelihood that I do not get in, but keeping my hopes up that there is a chance I will. I, like all of us, wish they still have the ranks, or at least a ballpark of where we were (if I was told I was in the top 1/4 or even top 1/2 I'd keep my hopes high). But regardless I know that this is not only what I want to do, but what I was meant to do, and I've made the joke that I will continue applying to NOSM until I die (or thereabouts). I believe that everything happens for a reason, and have to keep telling myself that as we move forward.

I finally decided to make an account and post because I get a real sense of community from this forum and figured that after many years of lurking I would make myself known!

I wish everyone the best of luck with getting off the waitlist! If this is what you really want then I encourage you to not give up! We're all in this together, and i'm looking forward to the information that is shared on here.

Justasmalltowngirl, luckily you have company living in this lonely world that is the waitlist. Thanks for posting and welcome!

Congratulations on your BScN and welcome to waitlist land! 

Archived