Premed 101 Forums

2017 Queen's Waitlist Poll

Queen's waitlist 2017  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the option that best describes your situation with respect to Queen's medicine admissions.

• Offered admission but will be declining to accept another offer
    • Removing self from waitlist to accept another offer
    • On the waitlist with no other offers
    • Will be accepting the offer and attending Queen's
    • Rejected post-interview
    • On multiple waitlists (including Queen's) with no offers
    • ACCEPTED OFF WAITLIST

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted today and best of luck to those in the waitlist pool like me. To those who received regrets, please don't give up and keep trying. Everyone is definitely a qualified candidate for med!

I just started this poll for those of us waiting on the waitlist. AFAIK, the waitlist does move quite a bit and according to the AFMC from 2017 and 2016, they usually send about another 90-100 offers to those on the waitlist.

https://afmc.ca/publications/admission-requirements-canadian-faculties-medicine

This is the same poll as the one created for last year's cycle. You can refer here for information in regards to last year's movement.

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/90395-potential-waitlist-movement/

Good luck!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Movement

- 100 Spots

- 197 total offers (from AFMC 2017) typically sent out per year means ~97 people move from waitlist position to accepted status

As to waitlist size...

I'd estimate less than 400 invited for interview (4 interview dates * approximately 100 interviewees on each day? - just a rough estimate, I couldn't find harder stats).

Out of those 400, 100 people were provided offers already and maybe about 100 people were unfortunately given rejection letters (again just an approximation based on nothing). So that leaves around 200 of us waitlistees in the middle. If 97 of us '200' move from waitlist to accepted you have about a 1 in 2 chance. 

Speaking of probability, there's a 1 in 2 chance I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm completely incorrect. Yay!

Regardless, you're still awesome for making a waitlist and for even getting an interview in the first place. Congrats! :)

Yes true, I'm just hoping that the waitlist moves more than 97 deep given that some people will leave the waitlist before getting an offer.

You and me both. I am curious though: are we sure that somebody who leaves the waitlist before getting an offer doesn't count in the 97?

I don't see why they would- 197 is total offers given, somebody who leaves the waitlist by accepting another Ontario school acceptance (or an OOP acceptance and emails to remove themselves) would never be offered admission so shouldn't count. I could be wrong though..

Hello fellow waitlist-ers!

Anyone know whether the time stamp on the waitlist email has some kind of correlation to where one stands on the ranking list? From what I see on Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread, most people seem to got their waitlist emails 9:15-30 am but mine arrived at 9:45 EST. Does this mean anything? Perhaps I am at the bottom of the waitlist? :(

Hello fellow waitlist-ers!

Anyone know whether the time stamp on the waitlist email has some kind of correlation to where one stands on the ranking list? From what I see on Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread, most people seem to got their waitlist emails 9:15-30 am but mine arrived at 9:45 EST. Does this mean anything? Perhaps I am at the bottom of the waitlist? :(

There's no way we can know this. In 2 weeks we'll hopefully see who gets the first round of offers and whether there's any correlation to email timestamp. 

Does anyone know when the waitlist starts moving? I know people have 2 weeks to accept/decline their offer, but a few people on forum already said they've declined their Queens offer for another school. So shouldn't the waitlist start moving now? Or do schools still wait till 2 weeks later to start sending offers?

Does anyone know when the waitlist starts moving? I know people have 2 weeks to accept/decline their offer, but a few people on forum already said they've declined their Queens offer for another school. So shouldn't the waitlist start moving now? Or do schools still wait till 2 weeks later to start sending offers?

Based on last years thread, I think they speculated that offers are sent out every 2 weeks or so (I think they said every other Tuesday) but I'd still check your inbox at least once a day. 

They will only start sending out the first round of offers in 2 weeks. Then after that the available offers are given more frequenly, but I believe the first round has never been earlier than 2 weeks (especially if it's true that they overaccept in the beginning)

They will only start sending out the first round of offers in 2 weeks. Then after that the available offers are given more frequenly, but I believe the first round has never been earlier than 2 weeks (especially if it's true that they overaccept in the beginning)

I don't think this is the case. I know of people who were accepted off the waitlist in within the two weeks.

EDIT: Here's some proof on the forums as well, from a very reputable user

Last year I got accepted to uOttawa and waitlisted at Queen's, Toronto and Mac. I got off all three waitlists before the 2 weeks I had to answer Ottawa. So yes, it does happen.

Archived