Premed 101 Forums

No More Good/bad Waitlist This Year

It would be nice if they sent an additional email after place like, 100 or so just to notify those people of whats going on. As an out of province applicant I'm basing actual life decisions (like whether or not I can be in a wedding!) on how I ended up waitlisted. It's hard when there's this giant cloud of uncertainty regarding moving my life elsewhere and so I was hoping my position would be made at least ~somewhat~ clear at this point in the game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if they sent an additional email after place like, 100 or so just to notify those people of whats going on. As an out of province applicant I'm basing actual life decisions (like whether or not I can be in a wedding!) on how I ended up waitlisted. It's hard when there's this giant cloud of uncertainty regarding moving my life elsewhere and so I was hoping my position would be made at least ~somewhat~ clear at this point in the game.

It doesn't hurt to try asking! The admissions office tends to be very understanding- I remember last summer, people were upset about the late notice of MCAT implementation. Admissions ended up being very responsive to their concerns and decided to forgo the MCAT. 

It doesn't hurt to try asking! The admissions office tends to be very understanding- I remember last summer, people were upset about the late notice of MCAT implementation. Admissions ended up being very responsive to their concerns and decided to forgo the MCAT. 

I completely agree! I think if most of us are concerned regarding the unjust amalgamation of bad and good-waitlist, we should voice our opinions to the admins in hopes that they will either revert back to the former protocol or assist in easing our anxiety in alternate ways. 

I genuinely thought that my sole interview at Ottawa was a congenial experience and I am utterly thankful for the invite. However, due to the lack of knowledge of my waitlist rank, I am downright confused about my next steps. I hope and truly wish that we all try to garner useful information about the reasoning behind absenting the concept of bad waitlist this year. 

I will do my part and send them an email soon. :) Good luck everyone and congratulations to those who are accepted. <3 

Although I would love to think they would be that understanding, they actually dropped the MCAT because they didn't introduce it formally through the uOttawa senate, as well as the fact that it breached a regulation because of the french stream applicants. However, they may give out more info if more people ask!

Mr Duck

On behalf of all the candidates on the waitlist, I emailed them very very nicely this morning concerning the waitlist info (good/bad idea) that was talked about during the interview process.

I will let you know their answer and hopefully we might get more info on that. I truly believe that the admission committee is very understanding and that we will hear back from them.

Mr Trout

On behalf of all the candidates on the waitlist, I emailed them very very nicely this morning concerning the waitlist info (good/bad idea) that was talked about during the interview process.

I will let you know their answer and hopefully we might get more info on that. I truly believe that the admission committee is very understanding and that we will hear back from them.

Mr Trout

Thanks for taking one for the team! Hopefully it's not terrible news :)

Thank you Mr.Trout.

I also emailed them explaining if it would be possible to know good/bad waitlist, as for some Ottawa is their top choice, and a lot of deposits and tuition payments will be due in the summer. It would be nice to know if you have a realistic chance or should you pursue your next option! I will let you know what they reply as well :)

I'm very curious as well, this waitlist is not fun. 

​It looks like you guys emailed before noon. She's replied to someone else's email about graduate school offer conditions. She's probably seen your email, and figuring out what to do about it. I guess that's better than a email flatly saying, "sorry, we won't be telling you this year if you're really low on the waitlist."

​I think if you articulate your concerns genuinely, and you articulate them well, she might bring your concerns to the rest of her team, and see if anything can be done about it. Hold on, I'm sure she'll reply soon. At this point, even an official confirmation that there is indeed no bad waitlist would be nice.

The above sounds like "plausible deniability". She didn't confirm nor deny all the emails were the same, though I'm pretty sure at this point that they are. Maybe something wonderful will happen and everyone will get in :)

Jokes aside, I can only worry about this sort of stuff for so long. I'm going to do my best and forget about it. Whatever will happen, will happen. I'm travelling to Europe for the next 5-6 weeks for work-related stuff and will try to enjoy myself. Coincidentally, that's also the window when most waitlist seats get filled. Maybe I'll get good news while overseas - that'd be super cool. 

​I genuinely feel bad for those of you who are solely on Ottawa's waitlist, and those who need to know this to make other life decisions. This really does suck, but there's not much we can do about it.

I do think if everyone emails the admin (maybe not now because they are probably busy processing acceptances) and indicate how disruptive it is to put everyone on the waitlist with no indication of whether they even have a chance of getting in, they will re-consider for next year. Not only is this emotionally distressing, but it also affects people's ability appropriately plan for next steps and can cost people thousands of dollars in deposits for other programs...

I do think if everyone emails the admin (maybe not now because they are probably busy processing acceptances) and indicate how disruptive it is to put everyone on the waitlist with no indication of whether they even have a chance of getting in, they will re-consider for next year. Not only is this emotionally distressing, but it also affects people's ability appropriately plan for next steps and can cost people thousands of dollars in deposits for other programs...

I am still waiting for their answer to my email. Let's see if I get the same answer as Vendar. 

Unfortunately, for this year, there will be only one waiting list with no other information on our ranking. Good luck to everyone and congratulations to all that got in. :)

as frustrating as that probably is for people in a  rational light it doesn't matter - the rank order is the same, the people in the end that get is the same and at the same time. but is of course cold, cold logic. 

The one reason I can think of, and it's just speculation, is that the way they rank candidates post-interview has changed. 

"Following the interview, preliminary rank order lists are prepared based on the assessment of the autobiographical sketch, the WGPA and interview (a poor interview may not be ranked)." from https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/offers-admission.

​This change on their website was made in early July 2016, specifically for this cycle. Compare to an archived version of the above page in June 2016 here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160611020807/https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/application-process/offers-admission. It does not mention ABS being used post-interview. The wording has changed so substantially that it's possible the post-interview ranking process has been completely overhauled. We'll see though, once waitlist offers start rolling, from the GPA trend.

​This is all speculation. Who knows how the ABS is actually used (if it's used at all). Perhaps the interviewers get an impression of the applicant from both the interview and the ABS they see in front of them, and they score the same way. Or perhaps something more elaborate happens and it's no longer simply GPA+Interview score.

​Before I start a panic, I'm pretty sure that the interview is really important, in comparison to both GPA and ABS. If the ABS is used, it probably makes a small difference, and doesn't swing ur overall rank THAT much. Who knows, though?

​Perhaps in previous years, they sent bad waitlist emails to everyone who score 2.0 or lower on the interview. Maybe they've completely tossed up their ranking system and it's totally different, and what they did in previous years no longer made sense. Who knows, all speculation. We can speculate all we want, it doesnt help, like rmorelan said. It's all out of our hands now, and the only thing we can do is wait.

So I'm not posting this from my original account (because I sent a whole bunch of annoying emails to get this response, and I don't want my name possibly having an effect on admission [yes I know I'm paranoid as fuck]).

Me: Hey Chantal, I was wondering if you would be able to provide me (and thereby the online pre-med community) with the reason why everyone on the waitlist this year gets the same email, instead of what it was like last year (and the years before that) that informed us of whether we were likely to be accepted off the waitlist or not.

I am having trouble figuring how this benefits anyone, including the administrators at the faculty of medicine? It is leaving more than 400 students in limbo. For some of us who only interviewed at the University of Ottawa we can't plan for the future. I'm hoping you will be able to shed light on what I'm not seeing here. This change seams like it will do nothing to benefit applicants, and I imagine it is causing more work for admin such as yourself who have to respond to emails such as these. 

Chantal:  Dear Garen,

The use of the generic waiting list letter this year was an executive decision made based on different factors which I am not at liberty to discuss.

We fully understand that it is very difficult for the candidates who are on the waiting list to plan for the future, however this is a reality for all of the candidates who are waitlisted.

Let me reassure you that the status of application letters are reviewed on an annual basis and we will take your comments into consideration for next year.

Thank you kindly,

Chantal

So I'm not posting this from my original account (because I sent a whole bunch of annoying emails to get this response, and I don't want my name possibly having an effect on admission [yes I know I'm paranoid as fuck]).

Me: Hey Chantal, I was wondering if you would be able to provide me (and thereby the online pre-med community) with the reason why everyone on the waitlist this year gets the same email, instead of what it was like last year (and the years before that) that informed us of whether we were likely to be accepted off the waitlist or not.

I am having trouble figuring how this benefits anyone, including the administrators at the faculty of medicine? It is leaving more than 400 students in limbo. For some of us who only interviewed at the University of Ottawa we can't plan for the future. I'm hoping you will be able to shed light on what I'm not seeing here. This change seams like it will do nothing to benefit applicants, and I imagine it is causing more work for admin such as yourself who have to respond to emails such as these. 

Chantal:  Dear Garen,

The use of the generic waiting list letter this year was an executive decision made based on different factors which I am not at liberty to discuss.

We fully understand that it is very difficult for the candidates who are on the waiting list to plan for the future, however this is a reality for all of the candidates who are waitlisted.

Let me reassure you that the status of application letters are reviewed on an annual basis and we will take your comments into consideration for next year.

Thank you kindly,

Chantal

I got the same reply just recently. At least it confirms there is no bad waitlist. Thanks for sharing! :) 

Dear students on the waitlist and forum,

I normally wouldn't make this kind of post, but I feel like I have to make this one. 

I understand that this is a very frustrating time for you and I wish everybody could be happy, but it just cannot happen. That being said, as a student at this university, I am very disappointed/aggravated by the comments I have seen on this forum. The statements about the way we've been acting is "horse sh*t" and that Chantal is making "stupid" replies to your emails is honestly very disrespectful. I happen to know Chantal and she is working very hard to make sure that everything happens on time. She is under orders of the faculty and trust me, she is very strong to be able to reply to hundreds of student that want answers to questions she can't answer even if she wants too as well as all the other administrative tasks that she has to do. The people you are referring to, you will see them around during your time at the university. They will also be there when you receive your white coat at the ceremony. Would you not feel guilty to shake their hands knowing you have made these comments about the school you have the honor to be attending?!

I know that these are very frustrating times, but I will just keep reminding that you have made it to the interviews. I know many deserving people that did not, there are so many people applying that we are all lucky to even be considered. 

Life at this medical is beautiful but many times, it's a unknown path and unexpected things happen. Trust me, I don't know how many times we get unexpected emails, assignments or even life just goes sideways in the most unexpected times. My advice to you is to learn how to deal with these situations now as it does not get any better in medical school and even less when you are applying for your residency. 

I did not make this statement to insult or hurt anyone but I seriously doubt that you would not make the same statements if your identity was public. Ask yourself if you would want a classmate saying these kind of comments about your own university before posting.

I do agree with you all. It would be nice to have a better waitlist system, but they have a right to do whatever they want. Just like students have a right to choose a medical school acceptance over another.

Sincerely, 

Your future fellow upper year student

Dear students on the waitlist and forum,

I normally wouldn't make this kind of post, but I feel like I have to make this one. 

I understand that this is a very frustrating time for you and I wish everybody could be happy, but it just cannot happen. That being said, as a student at this university, I am very disappointed/aggravated by the comments I have seen on this forum. The statements about the way we've been acting is "horse sh*t" and that Chantal is making "stupid" replies to your emails is honestly very disrespectful. I happen to know Chantal and she is working very hard to make sure that everything happens on time. She is under orders of the faculty and trust me, she is very strong to be able to reply to hundreds of student that want answers to questions she can't answer even if she wants too as well as all the other administrative tasks that she has to do. The people you are referring to, you will see them around during your time at the university. They will also be there when you receive your white coat at the ceremony. Would you not feel guilty to shake their hands knowing you have made these comments about the school you have the honor to be attending?!

I know that these are very frustrating times, but I will just keep reminding that you have made it to the interviews. I know many deserving people that did not, there are so many people applying that we are all lucky to even be considered. 

Life at this medical is beautiful but many times, it's a unknown path and unexpected things happen. Trust me, I don't know how many times we get unexpected emails, assignments or even life just goes sideways in the most unexpected times. My advice to you is to learn how to deal with these situations now as it does not get any better in medical school and even less when you are applying for your residency. 

I did not make this statement to insult or hurt anyone but I seriously doubt that you would not make the same statements if your identity was public. Ask yourself if you would want a classmate saying these kind of comments about your own university before posting.

I do agree with you all. It would be nice to have a better waitlist system, but they have a right to do whatever they want. Just like students have a right to choose a medical school acceptance over another.

Sincerely, 

Your future fellow upper year student

I totally second your statement about Chantal. Chantal and Dianne I know personally as well. I can say they are hands down fantastic people. God bless their patience for handling so many premeds for the longest time (let's face it, we aren't the best crowd to work with :P). Admins from other schools would flat out not answer, Dianne and Chantal care so they take the time to acknowledge your email. That being said, I can only partially agree with your statement given that although they can technically do whatever they want, they need to take in consideration the impact it will have on students (when I say they I mean the executive admissions committee since Chantal, as you said, isn't the sole decision maker). Looking in the perspective of people who got waitlisted, they have no idea how to plan ahead. It's really tough, med school is a life changing factor, so not being able to anticipate what's going to happen next is hard; I don't blame them for being frustrated. But as the cat said, be careful who you direct your anger to and use your passion in a constructive way if you want to see change. Most of these decisions are things Chantal oppose, there is a lot of things that you guys don't see that happen in the background... 

Do you have the right to get mad? Heck yeh. Do you have the right to demand change? Heck yeh. Just do it in a positive and constructive way. 

On a related note, I will be seeing the dean of medicine on Monday so I might be able to sneak in a question about it and gain some insight (I'm a curious duck after all). I will keep you posted if it's info I can share. In the mean time just keep your fingers crossed :)

Mr Duck

Archived