Premed 101 Forums

No More Good/bad Waitlist This Year

I think it could be interesting to have a system like the Quebec schools. Each student gets a rank and the school updates on a website what number the waitlist is at. I'm sure there are pros and cons to this, but it could be interesting! NOSM used to do this too!

I wasn't trying to say that the waitlist system is not important...because it is! I've been advocating for the Francophone stream now since the beginning of med school, so I know how challenging it can be sometimes to deal with the administration of the school (for example, the MCAT), but uOttawa really does listen to their students and take into account their opinions (I'm sure you can also confirm that, Mr Duck!)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we could have expected any more to be quite honest. The only person who could provide the reasons is probably the dean of admissions 

and they aren't really going to discuss that - they don't have to and it is a distraction. 

one thought is if they have had problems determining how big the list should be and in the past left some people on the good waitlist on it. That would be distressing for those people, and perhaps they didn't want to deal with that as even a possibility. 

pure speculation of course. 

I think it could be interesting to have a system like the Quebec schools. Each student gets a rank and the school updates on a website what number the waitlist is at. I'm sure there are pros and cons to this, but it could be interesting! NOSM used to do this too!

I wasn't trying to say that the waitlist system is not important...because it is! I've been advocating for the Francophone stream now since the beginning of med school, so I know how challenging it can be sometimes to deal with the administration of the school (for example, the MCAT), but uOttawa really does listen to their students and take into account their opinions (I'm sure you can also confirm that, Mr Duck!)

there are rumours about bad things happening to the person that "almost" makes it but doesn't. Some people cannot handle knowing they missed it by just a hair. I suppose it also could be used to get more information out for the system globally (and see if on average what GPA is at what point on the least or does GPA even matter etc post interview much). 

I certainly don't envy the schools having to actually figure out how to do all of this - in the end the choice will just be somewhat arbitrary. Very stressful I am sure on their end. 

There has been one, maybe two users who have posted something negative about the people on admissions.

The rest has been users posting information they received from admissions, posting how they understand that it's difficult for the people in admissions, or just how shitty is is for themselves.

it's a huge dick move of Ottawa not to give any rejections (bad wait list was their equivalent). They are not going through a 400 person waitlist.

What a stupid reply from her

There has been one, maybe two users who have posted something negative about the people on admissions.

The rest has been users posting information they received from admissions, posting how they understand that it's difficult for the people in admissions, or just how shitty is is for themselves.

I think the replies were primarily to these two, Jfourn. At least mine was!

Dear students on the waitlist and forum,

I normally wouldn't make this kind of post, but I feel like I have to make this one. 

I understand that this is a very frustrating time for you and I wish everybody could be happy, but it just cannot happen. That being said, as a student at this university, I am very disappointed/aggravated by the comments I have seen on this forum. The statements about the way we've been acting is "horse sh*t" and that Chantal is making "stupid" replies to your emails is honestly very disrespectful. I happen to know Chantal and she is working very hard to make sure that everything happens on time. She is under orders of the faculty and trust me, she is very strong to be able to reply to hundreds of student that want answers to questions she can't answer even if she wants too as well as all the other administrative tasks that she has to do. The people you are referring to, you will see them around during your time at the university. They will also be there when you receive your white coat at the ceremony. Would you not feel guilty to shake their hands knowing you have made these comments about the school you have the honor to be attending?!

I know that these are very frustrating times, but I will just keep reminding that you have made it to the interviews. I know many deserving people that did not, there are so many people applying that we are all lucky to even be considered. 

Life at this medical is beautiful but many times, it's a unknown path and unexpected things happen. Trust me, I don't know how many times we get unexpected emails, assignments or even life just goes sideways in the most unexpected times. My advice to you is to learn how to deal with these situations now as it does not get any better in medical school and even less when you are applying for your residency. 

I did not make this statement to insult or hurt anyone but I seriously doubt that you would not make the same statements if your identity was public. Ask yourself if you would want a classmate saying these kind of comments about your own university before posting.

I do agree with you all. It would be nice to have a better waitlist system, but they have a right to do whatever they want. Just like students have a right to choose a medical school acceptance over another.

Sincerely, 

Your future fellow upper year student

I stand by my comment. I was referring to the admissions committee and not the support staff. They deserve to be criticized for this decision.

All other schools waitlist what they think is more than enough people and reject the rest. Ottawa never put an official rejection label on their bad waitlist but it was essentially a rejection. 

Now they’ve gotten rid of it and blanket waitlisted everyone. Ottawa has no reason to expect that their wait list will behave any differently than other years. They KNOW that some people have no shot and yet they can’t do what every other school in Canada does and reject the bottom people.

It's so hypocritical to try and say student wellness is such an important issue and then keep probably 100 people on a waitlist which comes with anxiety, delaying life/academic decisions.

I was waitlisted for my interview and my acceptance. I found out about my interview 2 weeks before and was accepted to medical school 3 weeks before classes started. I spent most of the year waiting and it was incredibly stressful to the point where my mental health was in severely bad place.

Being waitlisted is not a benign event and I don’t think that we should withhold criticism because Ottawa needs to know this change is a terrible idea that is only causing more stress to the applicants.

Let's try to think outside the box. 

What if they cannot reject the "bottom people" (as used in the above post) because even they don't know who's bottom? 

What if who gets off the waitlist depends on who rejects their initial offer (thus everyone has equal chance on waitlist now) - BASED ON attributes deduced from interview and/or ABS, because they want a diverse class? 

These are all assumptions but at least they do not make derogatory assumptions towards the staff. There's a reason. 

But those who have gotten to this stage must know how to think outside the box smh

Today I emailed McGill admissions asking a question (if any can answer if a 3 year degree but 120 credit hours at an institution is enough for their 4 year degree requirement I'd be thankful) and get this... they basically told me to just apply and ask then if my requirements are enough. I almost pooped myself. There is an entire office dedicated to admissions and they want me to drop money on an application just to see if I'm eligible. UOttawa would never do that. Those ladies look at the info you gave them determine your eligibility. I think based on this experience, even though I'm waitlisted, UOttawa and their admissions team are something special.

I have spoken to someone very high in the faculty and I am limited on what I can say, however can comment on the information that has already been released here in the forum. As stated previously, the high/low waitlist system was discontinued because it has happened in the past where folks on the low waitlist received offers of admission, thereby giving a false representation of their outcome. Giving a placement on the waitlist is also not possible as the waitlist moves a lot and position on the wiatlist depends on various factors and streams, thereby making it practically impossible to give and keep track of numbers. (think about indigenous, CNFS, and other factors that can complicate the waitlist). Let's say you offered all your seats for indigenous students. Then one of them rejects, instead of offering a regular English student that is number 1 on the waitlist you have to offer another indigenous student who can be much lower on the waitlist, This is simply an example to illustrate the complexity. 

For those on the waitlist you will have to simply keep your fingers crossed! A second wave will come out May 24 and after that on a rolling basis until the start of classes. Rejection letters will eventually be sent out probably in June to inform that the class has filled.

Mr Duck

I have spoken to someone very high in the faculty and I am limited on what I can say, however can comment on the information that has already been released here in the forum. As stated previously, the high/low waitlist system was discontinued because it has happened in the past where folks on the low waitlist received offers of admission, thereby giving a false representation of their outcome. Giving a placement on the waitlist is also not possible as the waitlist moves a lot and position on the wiatlist depends on various factors and streams, thereby making it practically impossible to give and keep track of numbers. (think about indigenous, CNFS, and other factors that can complicate the waitlist). Let's say you offered all your seats for indigenous students. Then one of them rejects, instead of offering a regular English student that is number 1 on the waitlist you have to offer another indigenous student who can be much lower on the waitlist, This is simply an example to illustrate the complexity. 

For those on the waitlist you will have to simply keep your fingers crossed! A second wave will come out May 24 and after that on a rolling basis until the start of classes. Rejection letters will eventually be sent out probably in June to inform that the class has filled.

Mr Duck

thanks for the update - it is always a tricky thing for the office to balance things out. 

Thank you, Mr Duck for helping clarify.  Were you told (or are you able to share) whether this is the only deviation from what was communicated at the interview info sessions?  For instance, are wait list positions still determined based on interview score out of 4 plus GPA?  (Recent website updates suggest ABS is now also considered).  Thank you oh wise water wanderer. 

I am not 100% certain but in late februrary it was still 50% GPA 50% interview score with the vice dean admissions saying it may change. I doubt they had the time to look through everyone's sketches and score them, I would say it is still 50/50 for the cycle that just finished.

Mr Duck

Archived