Premed 101 Forums

The "vibe" Of U Of T Med

Hey all! So my supervisor said U of T is extremely competitive and as someone from a smaller university I might "be shocked with what I see" :huh: ! I know in the "Myths, BS and a little bit of truth" thread they touch on this a bit, but it looked like that thread was from about 10 years ago! So I'm wondering if the "competitive vibe" that people talk about is still an issue with P/F, new Foundations curriculum, etc. I like to think that it isn't true, but I could be plainly wrong!

Thanks! :)

I don't think U of T is any more competitive than any other med school. Of course there are always a few students who can't let go of the competitiveness that is needed to get into medical school. But really once you're in, you're all going to become doctors. You don't get grades in pre-clerkship so they're isn't really anything to be competitive about. People often study together and share resources like flash cards, etc, and since there is a lot of small group learning you get to know your classmates well. Upper years run clubs to help students work on clinical skills. The administration and tutors want everyone to do well. Also with the academy system you get some of the "smaller university" feeling even though it's a larger class. And remember that you're all going to be colleagues one day... so no one wants to build a reputation of being a cut-throat classmate. I'd say there is some competition to get research positions and club leadership, but honestly there are so many opportunities to do those sorts of things that anyone interested will be able to find something. 

I don't think U of T is any more competitive than any other med school. Of course there are always a few students who can't let go of the competitiveness that is needed to get into medical school. But really once you're in, you're all going to become doctors. You don't get grades in pre-clerkship so they're isn't really anything to be competitive about. People often study together and share resources like flash cards, etc, and since there is a lot of small group learning you get to know your classmates well. Upper years run clubs to help students work on clinical skills. The administration and tutors want everyone to do well. Also with the academy system you get some of the "smaller university" feeling even though it's a larger class. And remember that you're all going to be colleagues one day... so no one wants to build a reputation of being a cut-throat classmate. I'd say there is some competition to get research positions and club leadership, but honestly there are so many opportunities to do those sorts of things that anyone interested will be able to find something. 

thanks that's great to hear :) 

Archived