Premed 101 Forums

Would Really Appreciate Some Advice For The Mcat

alice1020

I am a music major, and I just finished my first year of university. Western would be my dream school for med, and I realize that my biggest barrier will be the MCAT, I'm not SWOMEN. I did take Grade 11 & 12 Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math, although I hadn't been planning on taking the basic sciences in university. I have started working through TPR Biology book, and watching Khan Academy videos to learn the material. I am planning on writing the MCAT in Aug 2018.  

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which MCAT review books/preparation techniques would be the best considering that I only have high school sciences. I have also read about Kaplan, BR, and EK but wasn't sure which would be the most suitable for my situation. I feel like I am leaning toward EK.  Any other thoughts about preparation would be really appreciated.

Thank you

I found that TPR books were a lot more comprehensive compared to EK, which might be helpful in your situation. I personally liked the EK books more since they were really concise, and given my science background I thought this was all I needed. I think that the first year science classes covered everything that was required for the MCAT, and a lot of them were pre-reqs for other med schools. So if you have room in your schedule next year it might be worthwhile to take some of those classes. 

It is definitely possible to teach yourself the material needed for the MCAT, and it is good that you are starting now! It seems like you need to actually learn some material rather than review it, so I would suggest either Kaplan or TPR for the book set (I personally used Kaplan and it was pretty good). Kahn Academy videos are great too! EK is better for review rather than learning the material, so EK may not be the best place to start. Even though you aren't planning on taking the MCAT until next year, I would definitely suggest starting early, especially if you have material to learn. Also, take as many practice exams as you can and don't worry about taking a practice exam too early! It is always good to have a baseline score to compare to (although, take the official AAMC practice tests last - right before your actual exam, as these are the best score predictors). 

The MCAT **DELETED** sub is also a great resource! 

• 9 months later...
On 2017-05-10 at 3:20 PM, alice1020 said:

I am a music major, and I just finished my first year of university. Western would be my dream school for med, and I realize that my biggest barrier will be the MCAT, I'm not SWOMEN. I did take Grade 11 & 12 Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math, although I hadn't been planning on taking the basic sciences in university. I have started working through TPR Biology book, and watching Khan Academy videos to learn the material. I am planning on writing the MCAT in Aug 2018.  

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which MCAT review books/preparation techniques would be the best considering that I only have high school sciences. I have also read about Kaplan, BR, and EK but wasn't sure which would be the most suitable for my situation. I feel like I am leaning toward EK.  Any other thoughts about preparation would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Alice, how is your MCAT preparation going? I am also starting it preparation and appreciate if you can share how you found EK? 

Archived