Premed 101 Forums

Interview Scores

Hi,

I was rejected from both U of C this year. My GPA is 3.80 and my MCAT score is 510. My U of C pre-MMI score was 80 percentile but my interview score was in the 35th percentile.

My interview score was way below average. From listening to Dr. Walker podcasts, it seems that the interview score does not change much. Should I apply again or should I pursue a different route?

I can't imagine doing anything beside medicine, but I am not sure if my interview score is something that I can change. 

Please advice me.

My MMI was in the 35th percentile last year, and I was given first round offers this year. I'm an OOP.

My MCAT is lower than yours (505).

You can definitely improve. 

Last year, Calgary was my very first med school interview and I clearly let the moment get to my head. I also didn't start practice before the interview offers came out.

I am feeling the same disappointment right now. I've always prided myself on being personable and thoughtful, but I actually got low percentile on my mmi! I'm completely blown away, and hoping it was a red flag or some kind of misunderstanding.

I agree, I can't imagine doing anything else in my life, so I'm going to self-reflect, read and practice tons. I know to my core that this score is not reflective of my capacities or my personality.

I got 13.2/20 on my MMIs, which is very close to average and although I am not sure if I will be able to improve it, I will try my best. My professor who is an interviewer at U of C was very surprised when I told her my interview score. She thinks that I should at least score in the 60 th percentile, but I believe I can't think properly and fast enough in the MMI environment.  She said that if she personally had me as an interviewee she would give me an 8 /10 in a station. But the thing is my professor knows me because she has interacted with me for a very long time, but the interviewers who grade you do not know you, and they make judgements about you in the 7-8 minutes  based on what you say and not say.

Sometimes, you may have the traits that med school is looking for, but if you don't show it in the interview, it is assumed that you do not have these traits. 

Do not take the scores to heart, but try to find ways to improve how you present yourself in those 7 minutes. 

Archived