Premed 101 Forums

Academy Location

Hi there! I know it's still early to think about this, but due to my family situation I may run into some trouble with location, so I would be very grateful if an upper year student could help clear something up regarding academies! 

If you want to stay downtown, would Fitz and WB both be suitable? I guess it's more of a question for Fitz (although St. Mike's is downtown, St. Joseph's is a bit outside of the core). Again any input would be a huge help! :)

PS. I know that the opportunities are excellent at all academies, it's just that location may cause problems for me down the road

Both fitz and WB would be good for downtown. Even St. Joe's is not that far (I biked to it for 6 weeks along the waterfront, about 25-30 minutes). WB you can also do some 'community' rotations, but not nearly as far as sunnybrook or some other PB/MAM sites. 

Both fitz and WB would be good for downtown. Even St. Joe's is not that far (I biked to it for 6 weeks along the waterfront, about 25-30 minutes). WB you can also do some 'community' rotations, but not nearly as far as sunnybrook or some other PB/MAM sites. 

Awesome, thank you for your response schmitty! :) So to my understanding most of the time will be spent at St. Mikes (anchor), and St. Joes would be less frequent?

Do those that live at PB choose to live closer to that academy? Or do most people live near the medical science building, regardless of academy?

Thanks! :)

Do those that live at PB choose to live closer to that academy? Or do most people live near the medical science building, regardless of academy?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really hope I'm wrong about this!), but I thought it was like a lottery so we can't actually be sure which academy we'll be in until July? And I imagine most people would already have a place to stay by then! 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really hope I'm wrong about this!), but I thought it was like a lottery so we can't actually be sure which academy we'll be in until July? And I imagine most people would already have a place to stay by then! 

Well, it is a ranked mini-match. You rank your preferences and to be honest, most people get there 1st or second choice. A fair number of PBers live uptown (either with family or alone) and thus ranked it first. There is a shuttle from downtown to Sunnybrook every 30 mins so for those who live downtown, it's not a huge deal. You will likely have to do some commuting at some point - e.g. I was in WB, but still did several clearkship blocks in community hospitals that required a drive (or long transit commute).

Really do what you think suits you best. Live downtown and rank the downtown academies first, and just deal with the shuttle if you get PB or a further out site for WB/FG or move to right near where your home academy will be and deal with community downtown for preclerkship sessions.

Are the matches related to your pre-interview/interview score or are they based on your ranked preferences?

Well, it is a ranked mini-match. You rank your preferences and to be honest, most people get there 1st or second choice. A fair number of PBers live uptown (either with family or alone) and thus ranked it first. There is a shuttle from downtown to Sunnybrook every 30 mins so for those who live downtown, it's not a huge deal. You will likely have to do some commuting at some point - e.g. I was in WB, but still did several clearkship blocks in community hospitals that required a drive (or long transit commute).

Really do what you think suits you best. Live downtown and rank the downtown academies first, and just deal with the shuttle if you get PB or a further out site for WB/FG or move to right near where your home academy will be and deal with community downtown for preclerkship sessions.

(I'm a 2T0) Most of my PB classmates have chosen to either live at home (if from toronto- to save money) or live near campus (ie. bay/college). Since you generally only have to be at the hospital 1 morning a week for clinical skills, it's easier to be downtown/closer to MSB. People will take the Sunnybrook shuttle from Women's College (near bay/college) to get there for their afternoon classes. If you're at North York, you take the TTC. If you're at Markham in 1st year, I think you're only there for clinical skills (ie. once a week) and all of your CBL/workshops/tutorials are at Sunnybrook.

Archived