Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone,

Thought this would be a good time to start the "waitlist" Thread.

So far what I know is 70-90 people on the waitlist (from estimates from the U calgary Blog).

And from the 35-70% that makes ~35 ish more happy news possibly coming to us??

Hoping you guys are holding up, know its feeling tough for me.

Here's my thinking:

I recall seeing on the UofC blog that they make approx 1.2 offers/spot initially. If the class is 155 students then that would be 186 offers. I suppose that means at least 32 must decline their offer before they start into the wait list. I'm not certain how many spots there are this year. Anybody know that?

Last year there were 251 offers made total. If the same number of offers are made this year then that would be 65 people off the waitlist to fill the class.

Is there a separate waitlist for OOP and for IP applicants?

I sure do hope I'm closer to the top of that list.

How's everybody holding up? I've been lurking for a while now, and figured it was time to come out of the shadows... The wait is driving me crazy!

When I started the application process last summer, I didn't think I stood a chance (I'm a very non-traditional applicant). Now here I am on the waitlist - yippee!

What's really worrying me, though, is that my Plan B is about to become real. Plan B (an exciting job offer) involves picking up my family and moving out to Nova Scotia, so I'm worried that I'll need to make a decision on Plan B before the waitlist starts to move. Plan A (U of C) is still by far my first choice.

Anyway, just thought I'd reach out to wish you all the best of luck. I hope you're all managing to stay distracted. Have a fabulous long weekend, and maybe we'll start to see some waitlist movement at the end of next week!

Anyway, just thought I'd reach out to wish you all the best of luck. I hope you're all managing to stay distracted. Have a fabulous long weekend, and maybe we'll start to see some waitlist movement at the end of next week!

Hope it goes in your favor!

The wait-list wait is surprisingly more relaxed for me than the initial post-interview wait. I guess I flipped a switch mentally where I realized waiting is inevitable, why not enjoy myself while I'm at it.

I wonder... if the IP and OOP waitlists are together then do they draw from the top of the list (whether it's an IP or OOP person) until all OOP spots are filled then skip over any OOP applicants until the next IP? Then if another OOP spot opens up, maybe they go back up to the highest ranked OOP on the list.

My analytical mind will not let this rest. Really hoping for good news next week.

How's everybody holding up? I've been lurking for a while now, and figured it was time to come out of the shadows... The wait is driving me crazy!

When I started the application process last summer, I didn't think I stood a chance (I'm a very non-traditional applicant). Now here I am on the waitlist - yippee!

What's really worrying me, though, is that my Plan B is about to become real. Plan B (an exciting job offer) involves picking up my family and moving out to Nova Scotia, so I'm worried that I'll need to make a decision on Plan B before the waitlist starts to move. Plan A (U of C) is still by far my first choice.

Hi OldBat, I hope you we get some real results soon! It sounds like either way you have an adventure ahead! 

I agree with the wait driving me crazy and welcome from the shadows!

Also MountainAmoeba, I've heard some debate on this topic? Something about the possibility of drawing off the waitlists to try and fill the OOP quota, so separate waitlists would make sense. But I also heard (and purely speculation) from other forum posts that the way it may work is drawing off the top of the waitlist regardless and since some of the OOP scores may be higher, they have some greater movement. Mind you, HUGE grain of salt with that one.

The Shred25, this is one iteration I've heard, but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the topic.

One of the blog posts said (previously):

Had someone withdraw after accepting earlier today, who happened to be a non-Albertan. Thus we just made another waitlist offer to a non-Albertan. Currently we have 4 Albertan and 1 non-Albertan positions that are still unspoken for, and an equal number of offers pending.

Which makes it seem like two seperate lists. Plus they have a quota. Only 15 percent of people are out of province, so they can't fill an in province spot with an out province offer, to ensure it remains at 15 percent they would need two waitlists.

From another (long past post)

"The deadline for accepting or rejecting our initial offers of admission has come and gone. We had sufficient room to begin making offers off the waitlist late last week, and made a few more yesterday. In total we have made between 15 and 20 waitlist offers.

Here is the current “state of the union”. For the first time in my tenure of 8 years, all our non-Albertan spots are spoken for. We may yet have someone who changes their minds and declines after having accepted, but in the meantime, there will be no more offers off the waitlist for Non-Albertan residents. For Albertans, we have 6 unfilled spots, and 6 outstanding offers. As most people who are going to accept do so very quickly when they get their offer, I suspect that most if not all of those 6 are ultimately going to decline their offers. Between those 6 spots and a handful of people who I suspect will yet change their minds, I suspect we will be looking at a total of 10-15 further offers off the waitlist."

Here's my thinking:

I recall seeing on the UofC blog that they make approx 1.2 offers/spot initially. If the class is 155 students then that would be 186 offers. I suppose that means at least 32 must decline their offer before they start into the wait list. I'm not certain how many spots there are this year. Anybody know that?

Last year there were 251 offers made total. If the same number of offers are made this year then that would be 65 people off the waitlist to fill the class.

Is there a separate waitlist for OOP and for IP applicants?

I sure do hope I'm closer to the top of that list.

So UofC offers more spots than available? Surely I've read that wrong.

One of the blog posts said (previously):

Had someone withdraw after accepting earlier today, who happened to be a non-Albertan. Thus we just made another waitlist offer to a non-Albertan. Currently we have 4 Albertan and 1 non-Albertan positions that are still unspoken for, and an equal number of offers pending.

Which makes it seem like two seperate lists. Plus they have a quota. Only 15 percent of people are out of province, so they can't fill an in province spot with an out province offer, to ensure it remains at 15 percent they would need two waitlists.

Hmm, I don't think this implies it's two separate lists. If I remember that quote correctly, this was after the OOP quota was filled. So, they made another offer to an OOP who was at the top of the list instead of skipping over them till they get to an IP. I believe there is another post or podcast stating that it is one list. They maintain the quota simply by skipping over OOP once they're reached 15 %

I see. So while they might have one waitlist, your probability for receiving an offer off of the waitlist isn't quite position dependant, because they don't draw directly by rank order but rather by the quota and rank order. In effect similar but different than having two waitlists.

Hmm, I don't think this implies it's two separate lists. If I remember that quote correctly, this was after the OOP quota was filled. So, they made another offer to an OOP who was at the top of the list instead of skipping over them till they get to an IP. I believe there is another post or podcast stating that it is one list. They maintain the quota simply by skipping over OOP once they're reached 15 %

I see. So while they might have one waitlist, your probability for receiving an offer off of the waitlist isn't quite position dependant, because they don't draw directly by rank order but rather by the quota and rank order. In effect similar but different than having two waitlists.

It is position dependent, unless you're OOP and the quota has already been reached. Often, it's not even reached at all. It's not the same as two waitlists because, for example, if an OOP declined and the next on the list was IP, they would get the spot despite it being an OOP offer. And vice versa, until the quota is reached.

I don't know this for sure, but that's always been my understanding and I think I got it from somewhere although I can't find where at the moment.

I just declined my offer to UofC. I hope I make someone on the waitlist dreams come true!

Thank you FeelingTheBern! Wishing you the best of success for your next steps! 

I had the thought they were going to release waitlist invites today after this final day to accept. Has anyone heard any movement yet?

My guess is they may be too bogged with work and are waiting for monday.

The silence is killing me...  On the one hand, I'm hoping the lack of posts here and on the blog means that they're just waiting until tomorrow or Friday to make the next round of offers. On the other hand, I can't help worrying about whether all of Monday's offers have all been scooped up (unlikely, I know, but I am feeling somewhat irrational theses days).  

I think I might want this too much...  and my kids have been sucked into the suspense too - they've asked me to call the school to let them know if/when I hear anything.  

Fingers crossed that we see some action tomorrow!

Everything is still so quiet today...  Does anybody know what is the response deadline for Monday's round of offers?  Was it end of day today or some other time (e.g., noon today)?  It would be great to see some movement on the waitlist this afternoon, but maybe we just need to sit tight until tomorrow.

This has been (by far!) the least productive and most distracted week of work I've ever had...

Archived