Premed 101 Forums

Ubc - Should I Even Bother Doing The Mcat?

My overall GPA is only a 79 currently in 3rd year but I have an upwards trend from 72 -> 77 -> 82 -> 86%. I failed math in 1st year and decided to stick with the 4 courses per term (non full load). Regardless of MCAT score, I feel like I would not be competitive due to a low GPA and not taking a full course load. I can take a full course load in my last year, but should I even bother with taking the MCAT, my chances for UBC or oop seem really low. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, first off it's awesome that you were able to find some study methods that worked and slowly but surely improved your GPA.

UBC doesn't really care about full course loads, and if taking full course loads causes you to get lower grades, then stick with the schedule that best works for you.

People get in with lower GPA's, so I think it would depend on your Non-Academic Qualities/references/interview. If you're super worried about the GPA, I know some schools in Ontario will take the average of your last 2 years, which would bring your GPA significantly up. And if you can write the MCAT and get a great score (let's say over 98% with a 127 in CARS) then you're guaranteed an interview at Sask.

All I'm saying is, I know it can be disheartening seeing other peoples statistics on this website, but don't let it get to you. The only way you'll know if you have a chance is by writing the MCAT and applying! 

Hey, first off it's awesome that you were able to find some study methods that worked and slowly but surely improved your GPA.

UBC doesn't really care about full course loads, and if taking full course loads causes you to get lower grades, then stick with the schedule that best works for you.

People get in with lower GPA's, so I think it would depend on your Non-Academic Qualities/references/interview. If you're super worried about the GPA, I know some schools in Ontario will take the average of your last 2 years, which would bring your GPA significantly up. And if you can write the MCAT and get a great score (let's say over 98% with a 127 in CARS) then you're guaranteed an interview at Sask.

All I'm saying is, I know it can be disheartening seeing other peoples statistics on this website, but don't let it get to you. The only way you'll know if you have a chance is by writing the MCAT and applying! 

Thanks for the reply. For ontario schools that look at the last 2 years, don't they say they look at the last 2 full load years? I believe I read on the waterloo and U of Ontario website that you need a full course load (15 creds).

The fact that you have a low GPA and non full course load will mean that you can't apply to OOP schools. The percentage system (out of 100%) may not reflect it but if you try calculating your GPA out of 4.0, I have a feeling it's below 3.5 or perhaps even below 3.3 (for reference, you'll usually need a 3.85+ to be competitive.

As for UBC, 79% will give you very minimal AQ scores, which means you'll need amazing extracurriculars to get an interview. MCAT score doesn't matter as long as it meets the cut-off. 

I think for now, you should work on your ECs while trying to pull up your GPA. It's still a bit too early for you to apply. After 4th year when you have your worst year removed and with improved ECs, you'll have a much better chance. 

Having great ECs will never hurt you. And who knows, maybe you find interest in other careers when you are participating in them.

Good luck!

Hi there. If you want my opinion I think you definitely have a chance. I would advise you to take an extra year to bring up your GPA as much as possible. Definitely write the MCAT as there are some other schools you could possibly have a shot at and also US MD/DO.

Archived