Premed 101 Forums

Hi Everyone!

I hope you got good news yesterday and for those that didn't I hope you have the perseverance to keep trying!

I got the great news that I got accepted (yay!), but found out I was placed in my last choice for site preference... I feel really proud that I got in but I feel that I may have just scraped through if I got put in my fourth choice.

Has anyone ever switched sites before?

Also if there's anyone who has been in NMP or anyone going into who'd like to share their positive thoughts I'd greatly appreciate it!

They would only put you there if you were eligible and suitable.

You should still be on waitlist for other sites that may be your more preferred rank.

Any site is perfectly fine and you get a great education. Distributed sites have much more hands on and smaller group experiences. Its easy to be a big fish in a small sea.

I know the NMP is kinda looked down upon and isn't overly popular, but don't let that get to you. If you come from Vancouver or a similar large city, I can understand why you might be concerned about location. As someone who comes from a small town in BC (sub 5000 people), I Can assure you that people from Vancouver have a distorted view of everywhere in BC outside of Vancouver. My previous job has taken me to every corner of the province, and almost everywhere in between. BC is beautiful, especially up north (even Fort Nelson)! Plus there's no such thing as traffic jams, you're 100% immersed in nature, people are genuinely friendly and kind, and lastly, you're going to be appreciated far more by the communities than what you'd experience in Vancouver. Don't fret your location, who knows, you might fall in love with your new lifestyle.

Im a NMP 2020er - Its a great program - very well established, excellent facilities, and great professors. Staff are extremely supportive and everyone is super laid back. Like others have said, it doesnt matter where you go, but there are definite benefits to the NMP.  Plus youve got an awesome class a year ahead of you ;) that will take care of you guys.  Honestly, after a year here I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. You have lots to look forward to.

Im a NMP 2020er - Its a great program - very well established, excellent facilities, and great professors. Staff are extremely supportive and everyone is super laid back. Like others have said, it doesnt matter where you go, but there are definite benefits to the NMP.  Plus youve got an awesome class a year ahead of you ;) that will take care of you guys.  Honestly, after a year here I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. You have lots to look forward to.

Absolutely agree with this! I have no idea why NMP "is looked down upon". We have amazingly faculty here with tons of hands on time, a wonderful class, the people in the community are very happy we are here and are very willing to have us come and observe. I wouldn't want to be at any other site! I think we have many opportunities here and I have taken full advantage of them.

Welcome to the North, we will definitely take care of you guys  ;) .

I know the NMP is kinda looked down upon and isn't overly popular, but don't let that get to you. If you come from Vancouver or a similar large city, I can understand why you might be concerned about location. As someone who comes from a small town in BC (sub 5000 people), I Can assure you that people from Vancouver have a distorted view of everywhere in BC outside of Vancouver. My previous job has taken me to every corner of the province, and almost everywhere in between. BC is beautiful, especially up north (even Fort Nelson)! Plus there's no such thing as traffic jams, you're 100% immersed in nature, people are genuinely friendly and kind, and lastly, you're going to be appreciated far more by the communities than what you'd experience in Vancouver. Don't fret your location, who knows, you might fall in love with your new lifestyle.

If the NMP is looked down upon, this is the first time I've heard that. The NMP is fantastic and you'll be more than ready for residency being in the NMP.

Archived