Premed 101 Forums

Is Ubc Even Possible For Me?

I was rejected by UBC the fourth time this year with the following stats:

OGPA: 79.1 (based on 6 years and 144 credits)

AGPA: 81.48
MCAT: 31
AQ: 17.56

NAQ: 44.55 (increased every year)
TFR: 62.11

Interview: Average.

Last Two Years: Below Average.

This was not really surprising since I know people with A- GPAs need to really rock the interview to get in, and my interview was not perfect. However I am beginning to doubt if I even stand a chance with an Above Average Interview. I don't have any Prestigious Reference Letters, Health Care Work experience, scholarships or experience to boast. I work two full time jobs (day/night) at about 70-80 hrs for my family, as my parents can't work due to medical reasons. I also did this while in School. So basically compared to the intense competition to get into medicine, I am very mediocre. Friends and Family encourage me to leave Canada and explore US, Caribbean, etc options since I am getting somewhat old (27). I am aware of the cons of getting medical education abroad and in many cases cant even afford it, but medicine is all I ever wanted to do. Is UBC even a realistic option for me anymore?

Firstly, I'm a few years older than you so you still have time and I don't think we're too old yet. Have you made any attempts to improve your gpa? I know you're busy with work, but online courses? Even a few over a year? Do you have any health-related experience?

I don't have much advice because I was also rejected with fairly similar stats, though your NAQ is incredible...

Sorry to hear you were rejected.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't think it's quite possible for you to increase your GPA because you already have 5 years (removing worst) under your belt.

There seems to be not too much room for improvement for your NAQ as well. Maybe try getting a higher mark on your MCAT? (I mean you'll have to rewrite it anyway because it's outdated)

As for interview, I'm down to practice with you starting as early as september.

I was also rejected to UBC this year with a below average interview :( completely devastated but i think i should get over it soon and start improving

I was rejected by UBC the fourth time this year with the following stats:

OGPA: 79.1 (based on 6 years and 144 credits)

AGPA: 81.48

MCAT: 31

AQ: 17.56

NAQ: 44.55 (increased every year)

TFR: 62.11

Interview: Average.

Last Two Years: Below Average.

This was not really surprising since I know people with A- GPAs need to really rock the interview to get in, and my interview was not perfect. However I am beginning to doubt if I even stand a chance with an Above Average Interview. I don't have any Prestigious Reference Letters, Health Care Work experience, scholarships or experience to boast. I work two full time jobs (day/night) at about 70-80 hrs for my family, as my parents can't work due to medical reasons. I also did this while in School. So basically compared to the intense competition to get into medicine, I am very mediocre. Friends and Family encourage me to leave Canada and explore US, Caribbean, etc options since I am getting somewhat old (27). I am aware of the cons of getting medical education abroad and in many cases cant even afford it, but medicine is all I ever wanted to do. Is UBC even a realistic option for me anymore?

Sorry to hear about your rejection.  The competition is intense, but I wouldn't count yourself out.  Yes, your aGPA is not the most ideal, but it really isn't that bad.  There are many people that get accepted every year with a similar GPA or even lower.  GPA is important but it is only half of the picture.  You have an absolutely killer NAQ and I think that really shows your character. Most of my friends that were accepted didn't have prestigious reference letters, much real health care experience, or any big scholarships.  I doubt these are of much importance, especially when you have secured such an admirable NAQ score.  During my cycle, my reference letters were extremely average, and I basically had no scholarships apart from the one everyone gets from high school provincials, but I was still accepted.  There are cases where applicants with "above average" interviews were rejected, but it doesn't mean that will happen to you too!  I would definitely not count out UBC as an option - in fact, UBC probably agrees with me as you have quite the TFR score.  I would keep your head up, keep doing what you do, and work on improving that interview score.  With a little bit more perseverance and a little bit of luck, you'll be where you want to be.  If you want to talk about the interview process, feel free to PM me and I can offer what insight I can.  Please don't give up!

I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't think it's quite possible for you to increase your GPA because you already have 5 years (removing worst) under your belt.

There seems to be not too much room for improvement for your NAQ as well. Maybe try getting a higher mark on your MCAT? (I mean you'll have to rewrite it anyway because it's outdated)

As for interview, I'm down to practice with you starting as early as september.

I was also rejected to UBC this year with a below average interview :( completely devastated but i think i should get over it soon and start improving

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. It will take you a few weeks to get over it and this summer might appear gloomy depending upon your environment, and personal circumstances. Especially if like me all of your friends got in. 

I have already registered for the new MCAT. I had hoped I would not have to do it. 

I would be happy to practice with you in September.

Sorry to hear about your rejection.  The competition is intense, but I wouldn't count yourself out.  Yes, your aGPA is not the most ideal, but it really isn't that bad.  There are many people that get accepted every year with a similar GPA or even lower.  GPA is important but it is only half of the picture.  You have an absolutely killer NAQ and I think that really shows your character. Most of my friends that were accepted didn't have prestigious reference letters, much real health care experience, or any big scholarships.  I doubt these are of much importance, especially when you have secured such an admirable NAQ score.  During my cycle, my reference letters were extremely average, and I basically had no scholarships apart from the one everyone gets from high school provincials, but I was still accepted.  There are cases where applicants with "above average" interviews were rejected, but it doesn't mean that will happen to you too!  I would definitely not count out UBC as an option - in fact, UBC probably agrees with me as you have quite the TFR score.  I would keep your head up, keep doing what you do, and work on improving that interview score.  With a little bit more perseverance and a little bit of luck, you'll be where you want to be.  If you want to talk about the interview process, feel free to PM me and I can offer what insight I can.  Please don't give up!

Thank you for the encouragement, and I am very glad that your persistence paid off :).

My Interview is definitely something I need to work on. I am very lucky to have been offered a third interview, but embarrassed at not being able to make it count. From my interview prep with med students and doctors that I know for this cycle, all of them pointed out to one big weakness I always had and that was "Overthinking". I believe this is what makes me misinterpret questions, and give complicated, confusing, and broad answers to fairly simple questions. I have a catastrophic mentality and put too much pressure on myself to do well. As an example, there were several key mistakes I made during the last cycle which I swore I wouldn't do again but ended up doing it. 

Another person who got rejected post-interview, checking in. 2nd below average interview. Would be interested in doing some early practice for next year as well.

My 2c on your specific question -- I've seen people with low MCATs get in, and low GPAs get in, but very rare to see both. From going through these past threads it looks like people who had both low MCAT and GPA got rejected even with above average interviews. Pure speculation on my part, but I think UBC wants to see at least some measure of academic success, whether it be in the form of the MCAT or GPA, so I would recommend really trying to ace the new MCAT (no idea what they would consider to be an exceptional MCAT).

edit: I mean, obviously you'll try to ace the MCAT, I just think that it would be very hard to get an acceptance without doing well on it. I could definitely be wrong though.

Dont give up - I had similar stats to yours (my GPA was a little higher but my NAQ was lower, same MCAT score) - it really comes down to being yourself in the interview. My first year of interviewing I went in there being someone I wasnt and I got below average - the second year I prepared like crazy (knock on door, shake hands, ask if i can have a seat, blah blah) and the second I walked into the interviews I just forgot it all and tried to be myself, even getting teary-eyed at one of the stations, and it worked out.  Preparation is good but I would caution over-prep as you dont want to come across like a robot.

In any case, from the looks of your application Id say youve got what it takes, you just need to ensure your app is optimal, such as ensuring your references are writing outstanding stuff about you and not just average or brief - this can be a killer for some people. Also try hard to get a good MCAT score, as I suspect this may be more important to the application process now that the prereqs have been tossed (for the most part). Something I remembered over the years that helped me was that youve only failed when youve given up. Stick with it, youll get there. 

I truly believe that UBC takes a holistic approach to evaluating someone. So rather than focusing on changing one aspect, I would try to improve the most cost efficient ones.

Your NAQ is already exceptional so I would just maintain it and focus your energy on the MCAT, interview, and maybe doing a Master's.

Keep improving every year and it's only a matter of when.

Thank you for the encouragement, and I am very glad that your persistence paid off :).

My Interview is definitely something I need to work on. I am very lucky to have been offered a third interview, but embarrassed at not being able to make it count. From my interview prep with med students and doctors that I know for this cycle, all of them pointed out to one big weakness I always had and that was "Overthinking". I believe this is what makes me misinterpret questions, and give complicated, confusing, and broad answers to fairly simple questions. I have a catastrophic mentality and put too much pressure on myself to do well. As an example, there were several key mistakes I made during the last cycle which I swore I wouldn't do again but ended up doing it. 

Nothing to be embarrassed about  :)  Honestly I think you being able to hold down two full time jobs while doing all this is so amazing - you just have find a way to show this resilience to the interviewers.  Med students and doctors are great to practice with, but I think it would be really helpful to practice with different applicants because you can be in the position of the interviewer, see how other applicants answer, what they did well and missed.  I find watching and learning from a talented interviewer more useful than listening to feedback (granted both are very valuable).

Also, I respectfully disagree with Osteoarthritis.  You're clearly well within reach of your goal based on UBC's holistic approach to application evaluation - your TFR score is well beyond what is needed for an IP applicant, so I wouldn't go as far as to say you're trying to be the next Mark Zuckerberg.  However, it is true that your GPA puts you a slight odds from an academic perspective.  I second what others said - if you want to improve your chances besides the interview, you should consider focusing on obtaining a stronger MCAT score (above the admission average based on the UBC 2020 stats), which is the only thing you can change now (AQ is stuck, and NAQ is almost maxed).  The MCAT is generally a better indicator of success in medical school compared to GPA, which was one of the reasons why UBC removed pre-reqs and pre-req GPA calculation (as did many other Canadian schools previously).

TL;DR: Don't give up, consider changing interview practice approach and getting a better MCAT score.  UBC is definitely possible.  :D

There will be a lot of success stories for people applying with sub 80 GPA but it's very unlikely. Think for yourself if medicine is really what you want - if you're willing to try 2, 3, maybe even 5 more times to get in. Your interview will depend on the questions and how lucky you are, and your GPA puts you against odds. 

I'm just saying. Not everyone should aspire to be an entrepreneur just because Jobs and Zuckerberg did it. Maybe it's against your odds. This is something only you can decide for yourself.

Thanks for being honest, It's an uphill battle for sure. My desire of becoming a doctor is not really based on following the footsteps  of any role model or personality. I couldn't really care less if tomorrow medicine lost all the attractions or perks associated with it. It's something I've wanted to do for ever but unfortunately ran into problems which took time to solve.

Taking more courses and getting As will help.

Your AGPA is fine but having even more recent classes to show academic excellence can only help. And retaking MCAT is already an expectation I think since old score expires?

Keep going!

Thank you, I'll look into picking up a course or two in the fall but MCAT is definitely the focus right now. 

Hi all, 

I plan on applying to UBC and I had a question about admissions (sorry if I hi-jacked this thread). I'm OOP, and I was wondering that after interviews have been given out, if IP applicants are still given preference (e.g., lower cutoffs)? 

Thanks  :)

No, they rank all the interviewees and offer admissions to the highest ranked... say 300... people. 

Hi all, 

I plan on applying to UBC and I had a question about admissions (sorry if I hi-jacked this thread). I'm OOP, and I was wondering that after interviews have been given out, if IP applicants are still given preference (e.g., lower cutoffs)? 

Thanks  :)

No, they rank all the interviewees and offer admissions to the highest ranked... say 300... people. 

Not exactly true - only a maximum of 29 places may be given to OOP applicants. So even if you are one of the best 300 applicants overall, if you're OOP and not one of the top 29 OOP applicants, you will not receive an offer and likely be put on the waitlist. 

Actually I don't think they over-invite, so I think its just the top 288 candidates. 

As has been said, only the top 29 OOP would get offers initially.

Thanks all. Can someone please show me where it says 29 OOP would initially get offers? 

"The selection of candidates is made by consensus of the Admissions Selection Committee. Preference is given to residents of British Columbia. Up to 10% of seats (maximum 29) may be available to out-of-province applicants in the medical program each year."

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/selection/

It's not that 29 initially get offers, its that 29 maximum will get offers. If 29 OOP don't fall into the top, lets say 300 students, then less OOP will be offered a seat. Post-interview all applicants are assigned a number from 1-660 (I'm assuming) and are given an offer based on their ranking. If more OOP fall into a spot where they should get seats, but 29 have already been offered, the next eligible candidates will be put higher up on the waitlist, but only given a spot if an OOP applicant rejects UBC's offer. 

Archived