Premed 101 Forums

Need Direction On Next Steps

Hello all,

I just finished my 2nd UG degree (which was 2 years) last month and was hoping that some of the fine folk on this forum can provide me with some help on what I should do next and realistically where am I competitive. There is a wealth of information on this forum and I have been scouring it but I feel awfully confused.

Any who... here are my OMSAS GPA stats from my 2nd UG:

Year 1 GPA = 3.97 (3.969)

Year 2 GPA = 3.94 (3.938)

2YGPA = 3.95

So obviously in my previous degree, my grades are not great, my CGPA for both degrees combined is a 3.51. Also in my last year of my 1st degree I did not take 5 FCE's which I believe disqualifies me from Ottawa. What schools am I realistically competitive for? I am also starting a 1.5 year course based MPH w/ placement this September.

My current plan right now is to write my MCAT this summer in August and try to do the best I can. If there are any resources that you would recommend please do let me know, as right now i am using TPR materials.

My ECs are ok I think, no hospital volunteering but they are varied otherwise. If you would like to know I can list them.

As I mentioned above, when I read the forum I do feel overwhelmed and at times a little bit down about my chances. So here is to staying positive!

Thanks!!

My impression is that your singular focus right now should be the mcat. I'm sure other posters can chime in on the details, but my gut impression is that without a "good" mcat score your chances are pragmatically nil. With a good mcat at least uwo is a distinct possibility.

My impression is that your singular focus right now should be the mcat. I'm sure other posters can chime in on the details, but my gut impression is that without a "good" mcat score your chances are pragmatically nil. With a good mcat at least uwo is a distinct possibility.

Thank you for this tip. I am guessing I should aim to do 1 to 2 points higher than their 2016 cutoffs? Or just aim for the cutoffs as a "good" mcat score?

Aim as high as you can. Test day can produce unexpected variances, so aim to have a buffer. I scored higher overall then I had on any practice exams, many people score a bit lower.

Good luck!

Thank you for this tip. I am guessing I should aim to do 1 to 2 points higher than their 2016 cutoffs? Or just aim for the cutoffs as a "good" mcat score?

Aim as high as you can. Test day can produce unexpected variances, so aim to have a buffer. I scored higher overall then I had on any practice exams, many people score a bit lower.

Good luck!

Do you have any advice on additional material I should be using. I signed up for the TPR course, and I've seen it suggested that I should use EK 101 for CARs and Khan Academy?

If you already signed up for the course, then I would honestly just use their material, and supplement with khans. I used Kaplan, and it was okay, but I did a lot of supplemental learning (mind you I'm a nurse, and had to teach myself.....EVERYTHING).

I'm not convinced you'll find an advantage with one material over another. I did buy all of the question packs and tests from AAMC which was 100% worth it, because I think about half the work is learning the material, and half the work is learning exam strategies. The test is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you already signed up for the course, then I would honestly just use their material, and supplement with khans. I used Kaplan, and it was okay, but I did a lot of supplemental learning (mind you I'm a nurse, and had to teach myself.....EVERYTHING).

I'm not convinced you'll find an advantage with one material over another. I did buy all of the question packs and tests from AAMC which was 100% worth it, because I think about half the work is learning the material, and half the work is learning exam strategies. The test is a marathon, not a sprint.

Does the AAMC provide only 2 tests? Thanks for the answers btw!

Archived