Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist 2017 Support Thread

Accepted off waitlist to SMP (my 1st choice)

I have perused this forum for many years as I applied over and over again and the positivity of some of the contributors really helped me put things in perspective. I hope I can do the same for those who are still waiting on a response. Please don't give up hope and do realize that being waitlisted is an impressive achievement itself. 

I have been applying since 2012/2013; waitlisted four times, and rejected once flat out (in no particular order). 

IP with an MSc (completed 2013) so, a non-trad applicant as you might say

aGPA: 84%

MCAT: 28 (old version...which was my FOURTH re-write, the test anxiety here was bad)

EC's: Lots including volunteering in areas I was interested in/passionate about (i.e. mental health, sexual violence support/prevention, and obesity research/management), a bit of research, some publications, and 6 years of work experience (much of it concurrent with studies but varied from serving at a restaurant to being a research assistant and working as a sessional instructor). My NAQ last year was ~42 but AQ was low 20's. 

I have experienced periods of frustration, despair, hope, and now--elation. For those of you who don't feel like it might happen, if it continues to excite you when people talk about medicine, or their work in this field, and you feel a fire in your tummy to keep going, please push ahead. One way or another this will pay off. 

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to bounce off me. I would love to pay it forward with any limited understanding I have of this process (and taking my advice with a grain of salt, of course). Or if you just want to rant at this process, that's cool too. It's a tough road for many! Good luck everyone waitlisted. Feel proud of having made it this far!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, asd873 said:

Accepted off waitlist to SMP (my 1st choice)

I have perused this forum for many years as I applied over and over again and the positivity of some of the contributors really helped me put things in perspective. I hope I can do the same for those who are still waiting on a response. Please don't give up hope and do realize that being waitlisted is an impressive achievement itself. 

I have been applying since 2012/2013; waitlisted four times, and rejected once flat out (in no particular order). 

IP with an MSc (completed 2013) so, a non-trad applicant as you might say

aGPA: 84%

MCAT: 28 (old version...which was my FOURTH re-write, the test anxiety here was bad)

EC's: Lots including volunteering in areas I was interested in/passionate about (i.e. mental health, sexual violence support/prevention, and obesity research/management), a bit of research, some publications, and 6 years of work experience (much of it concurrent with studies but varied from serving at a restaurant to being a research assistant and working as a sessional instructor). My NAQ last year was ~42 but AQ was low 20's. 

I have experienced periods of frustration, despair, hope, and now--elation. For those of you who don't feel like it might happen, if it continues to excite you when people talk about medicine, or their work in this field, and you feel a fire in your tummy to keep going, please push ahead. One way or another this will pay off. 

PM me if you have any questions you'd like to bounce off me. I would love to pay it forward with any limited understanding I have of this process (and taking my advice with a grain of salt, of course). Or if you just want to rant at this process, that's cool too. It's a tough road for many! Good luck everyone waitlisted. Feel proud of having made it this far!

Wow, it sounds like if anybody deserves to be off the waitlist, it is you. Kudos for your grit in surviving that many attempts and disappointments. Success must be sweet! 

7 hours ago, vic988 said:

Wow, it sounds like if anybody deserves to be off the waitlist, it is you. Kudos for your grit in surviving that many attempts and disappointments. Success must be sweet! 

Thank you very much for your kind words! It certainly feels good to say it was worthwhile to keep pushing. :) Stay strong you guys. This process feels random and can make you feel crazy. Over the years, I like to think I got better at not taking the admissions decision as personally. It's a combination of factors that we don't really understand. Trust who you are and all the very best to everyone still waiting. 

Accepted off waitlist at VFMP today!

Stats:

Non-trad applicant
Second time applying this year. Applied 2015/2016, got rejected post-interview.
OOP

Stats from 2015/2016 cycle:
MCAT: 32
GPA: 89%
NAQ: 34.14
AQ: 30.34
Interview: below average

Last year I came out of the interview a complete wreck. I was way harder than my I had practiced, and I literally struggled to get words out of my mouth (unfortunately also had a bad flu the same weekend). This year I spent more time on content review. Sure, my nerves were off the charts during the interview, but the content review actually helped so much!! Not only did I have a lot of information to build my argument, but I also felt more at ease because I finally knew what the questions were getting at! I also broke free of the MMI structured answer, which I think the interviewers liked.

Please keep your head up high, and know that you 100% have all the qualifications, especially if you are waitlisted!! I know the journey to get into medical school is tough, but I believe our battle scars will serve us well in being humble and grateful to be in such a profession.Everyone has a different journey, a different reason why they're doing this, and if you want it badly enough, you will make it happen. Good luck to each and every one of you. It's been a pleasure to be on this journey together.

Feel free to PM me :)

I was also accepted on Friday to the NMP (fourth choice, but zero complaints). I also thought I was receiving a "you've been taken off the waitlist" email -- and had also given up most (if not all) hope. I know how lucky I am and empathize with everyone still agonizing over being kept waiting. It really is the worst.

I am also a non-trad, older applicant. I started school late after working in the ski/snowboard industry for a number of years and completed a Political Science/Psychology degree at UBC. I then realized I wanted to go into medicine, went back to upgrade all the prereqs, write the MCAT etc. It took two years, (at the end of which UBC eliminated all the prereqs). I worked in a few labs during my degree and then afterwards while upgrading, and also volunteered as a Birth Control Educator for a non-profit. I also had about 15+ jobs on there, lots of travel, and some experience working in the Yukon court system. 

It's my first year applying so no idea what my interview score was. I didn't follow any script and was definitely nervous, so I'm not actually sure how they evaluated my performance. I also had a sub-par academic reference letter as I never got to know any profs in school and chose a lab supervisor to write mine. 

New MCAT: 513 with lower scores in Bio/Biochem at Chem/Phys etc. and higher in Psych and CARS.

Adjusted GPA: 86.9%

I just wanted to post because its been really great seeing the support on this thread and others on this forum -- I only found it when I was banging my head against the wall by myself, constantly googling "waitlist chances UBC" and engaging in other similar non-productive activities. I found people's post both helpful and encouraging and hope mine is somewhat the same. Please don't hesitate to PM me as well!

Archived