Premed 101 Forums

Fellow confused non-trad here...

MCAT 3x rewrite: 127 (PHYS/CHEM) 129 (CARS) 129 (BIO/BIOCHEM) 129 (PSYCH)

BSc

cGPA: 3.57

sGPA: somewhere around 3.3

upward trend 

full-time course load

MSc (course-based)

cGPA: 3.9

Western wGPA: 3.91

Queen's wGPA: 3.91

Toronto wGPA: 3.78

Ottawa wGPA: 3.74

Mac cGPA: 3.57

Dalhousie wGPA: 3.91

UBC wGPA: 84.8 

Calgary wGPA: below 3.8 cut-off

Alberta wGPA: around 3.7

Saskatchewan wGPA: below 83% cut-off

Manitoba wGPA: around 4.0/4.5

Ontario resident

1 first author pub and probably 2 more submitted by end of summer, hospital volunteering, tutoring, TA, regional sports and competitions, coach, suicide prevention hotline, clinical research and unique volunteering abroad, 1 international graduate conference, 2 undergraduate conferences (1 small, 1 national level), club exec, club founder, research assistant on 3 studies, unique employment in healthcare, 20k in scholarships over academic career, small-time writing awards, work for a few journals

Doesn't seem like another degree will increase my GPA to a competitive level and I already have the grades for best two year schools. I am also unsure how to finance another degree since I've used OSAP for all of my first degree. I need to start working in September so where will I find the time and money to study full-time? Financing DO or MD schools in the states is out of the question.

My MCAT is good for Western at the moment, but that can easily change if the cut-offs shift. Queens is a question mark, Mac is an uphill climb. I am below the undergraduate pool cut-offs for Toronto. For what it's worth, I can provide documentation to better justify my lower GPA. I probably don't have enough "productivity" to be considered in the graduate pool. I did french immersion and french courses in uni so I can speak and understand French well, but my average is still too low for the Ottawa french pool. I have a maritime connection for Dalhousie: I interned in Nova Scotia for a few months and also worked on a study where I interacted exclusively with maritime residents. I'm below UBC OOP cut-offs, and my GPA for the other out-of-province schools is abysmal.

Do I re-write MCAT? If so, I will have to wait until next cycle to apply because this summer is too busy. I'm worried I'm reaching my MCAT peak; my score has only improved by 2 points at every sitting. This could be beneficial if I do better in CARS and BIO, but there is no guarantee. If a second degree is my best option, can anyone comment or PM me about how they financed it?

Really appreciate it!!

Unforunately it's your MCAT that is holding you back. As someone that wrote it 3 times, I know how painful it can be to even think about rewriting it again. That being said, I think it's your best chance. Your other option would be doing a second UG in order to make yourself eligible for Ottawa by getting a 4.0 .

Unforunately it's your MCAT that is holding you back. As someone that wrote it 3 times, I know how painful it can be to even think about rewriting it again. That being said, I think it's your best chance. Your other option would be doing a second UG in order to make yourself eligible for Ottawa by getting a 4.0 .

What are you talking about? What schools would he benefit from with a new MCAT? 

I would personally not rewrite. As t0ny mentioned, the best way to open up more schools in Canada is a second UG, but you could honestly probably land McMaster by prepping well for CASPER and possibly Queens by selling yourself in a strong way. As you mentioned, you should have Western.

What are you talking about? What schools would he benefit from with a new MCAT? 

I would personally not rewrite. As t0ny mentioned, the best way to open up more schools in Canada is a second UG, but you could honestly probably land McMaster by prepping well for CASPER and possibly Queens by selling yourself in a strong way. As you mentioned, you should have Western.

127 is low for P/S, and 129 CARS is borderline for Western for instance. I was by no means saying his score was bad, he was asking what needed improvement in his application. 

I would personally not rewrite the mcat and try to make yourself as competitive as possible (improve ECs) at Queens, Mac and Western, with Western and Queens being your best chances. I think not rewriting is definitely preferable since there is a good chance you may decrease your CARS or B/B on a rewrite, disqualifying yourself from Western even if your overall score improves. At this point, I think the best thing to do is to make sure your ABS is as well written as possible for Queens and that you practise a lot for CASPer, and hope that Western's cutoffs don't change.  Good luck! 

Archived