Premed 101 Forums

Apologies - I missed the previous post where I had asked this question prior to receiving stats.

I have a score between 510-512 and am wondering if I should re-write.

IP

GPA: 83.**

AQ: 20.**

NAQ: 34.**

MCAT: 510-512

Int: Avg

I am anticipating seeing an increase in my NAQ for the 17/18 cycle and by the 18/19 cycle my AQ will also increase a bit (taking courses this year).

At this point, with the course plans I have, I'm not sure I can make the late August cut off for MCAT scores (but maybe could with a fire under my butt)... And I'm quite worried about the possibility of scoring the same or lower on the MCAT... this is my main concern. I've only written it once and got a decent score.

My 2 cents.... I think you have a relatively good MCAT score!

But, getting a higher score (98% with a minimum 128 in CARS) would open so many more doors for you at other Canadian Medical Schools. If however, UBC is your dream school and the only one you can see yourself going to, then I don't think you need to rewrite. I definitely wouldn't rewrite unless you can commit the time and energy into getting a good score; if you're already having doubts of your ability to have the time to improve your score, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Since your AQ is a bit on the lower side, I think having a higher MCAT would help with that as well. I'm not a Med School pro or anything, so I'm sure other peoples advice will be better, but best of luck with everything =] 

Apologies - I missed the previous post where I had asked this question prior to receiving stats.

I have a score between 510-512 and am wondering if I should re-write.

IP

GPA: 83.**

AQ: 20.**

NAQ: 34.**

MCAT: 510-512

Int: Avg

I am anticipating seeing an increase in my NAQ for the 17/18 cycle and by the 18/19 cycle my AQ will also increase a bit (taking courses this year).

At this point, with the course plans I have, I'm not sure I can make the late August cut off for MCAT scores (but maybe could with a fire under my butt)... And I'm quite worried about the possibility of scoring the same or lower on the MCAT... this is my main concern. I've only written it once and got a decent score.

My thoughts: Your GPA is low (average AQ is ~86.**% = 28 points) and your NAQ is only a bit above average at 34 (average for interviewed applicants = 30). So between the two categories, you have a deficit of 4 points compared to the interviewed pool. 

Furthermore, average MCAT for rejected applicants was 510, average for accepted was 515.

So you can see that overall you're really close, but have a small deficit (and unfortunately it's difficult to predict how NAQ will fluctuate year to year even if your application has obviously improved). That's a lot of pressure to put on an interview to overcome! Personally, I think it is worth rewriting the MCAT - but only if you feel confident that you have enough time to study and be well prepared. 

Is the avg mcat for those categories in a pdf off UBC's website somewhere?

As for rewriting.. It would have to be by Aug 31.

This leaves me 95 days. I was planning a 2 week EMR course + licensing dates mid-summer and hoping to take one anat class thru TRU-OL...(prereq for a program I don't *want* but is a good backup).

I don't know :/

How bad does it look if I score less? The same? That's my concern.

Is the avg mcat for those categories in a pdf off UBC's website somewhere?

As for rewriting.. It would have to be by Aug 31.

This leaves me 95 days. I was planning a 2 week EMR course + licensing dates mid-summer and hoping to take one anat class thru TRU-OL...(prereq for a program I don't *want* but is a good backup).

I don't know :/

How bad does it look if I score less? The same? That's my concern.

The MED-2020-Admissions-Statistics on UBCs website has the avg mcat scores.

Unfortunately, I have no idea at all how scoring less/the same looks. Is there any way to postpone the anat class till fall?

All I can say is that it took me 10 weeks of studying to score a 519, studying about 20hr/week, but I am a very 'good' test-taker and I know everyone's experience is very different.

Good job on the 519!

I could postpone it, yes.

At this point I have 14 weeks - ish... and could put more than 20hrs in a week for it...

Wow, if I could get a 519 :D

If you decide to go for it, my biggest piece of advice is to integrate lots of practice passages into your studying and do as many full-length practice tests as possible.

I did study using a Princeton Review review course (due to extreme illness during my physics/o-chem year and the fact that I hadn't taken biochem yet I felt it was necessary) and found it very beneficial, but there are also plenty of cheaper resources. But if you can afford it, don't skimp on buying practice tests! You may have found this too, but I felt that being familiar with the style of the MCAT equally important compared to the memorization. 

Archived