Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Vs Ubc?

I've been accepted to UBC and McGill and am having a really tough time deciding between the two. Does anyone have any insights or advice? 

Both schools have great programs and seem to be pretty academically equal but I'd like to hear more about the programs and lifestyle between the 2 schools and cities. I'm originally from BC so I'd also love to hear about some pros and cons of living in Montreal in general as well. 

Thanks in advance xx

Edit: I was born in Quebec so I'm an IP (but have lived in BC since I was really young) and I went to french immersion so my french is decent haha 

From B.C., your roots and family are there. Things being equal, you likely will want to practice there. Montreal is a vibrant city, bilingual city. Assuming it is unlikely you will become bilingual, you may be happier practicing your profession where language won't be a cause of concern. I think you need to be functionally bilingual to be able to practice in Quebec. So, if you are more likely than not to leave Montreal anyhow,it would be smarter to build up your contacts, networking in B.C. where you already have a head start.

My gut would be to stay in B.C. as it is a more sensible decision to me. Less potential curve balls down the road. Just my 2 cents.  

From B.C., your roots and family are there. Things being equal, you likely will want to practice there. Montreal is a vibrant city, bilingual city. Assuming it is unlikely you will become bilingual, you may be happier practicing your profession where language won't be a cause of concern. I think you need to be functionally bilingual to be able to practice in Quebec. So, if you are more likely than not to leave Montreal anyhow,it would be smarter to build up your contacts, networking in B.C. where you already have a head start.

My gut would be to stay in B.C. as it is a more sensible decision to me. Less potential curve balls down the road. Just my 2 cents.  

UBC - even if you did go to McGill and become somewhat bilingual, the conditional ROS contract that you would have to sign with the Quebec government would disadvantage you from staying and practicing in Montreal say, compared to doing training outside the province.  

Thanks for your guys' input! All very valid concerns to bring up but I went to french immersion for a good chunk of schooling so my conversational french is actually pretty decent. I haven't used it in a while but I think I'd be able to manage. The thing is I am not sure that I will want to leave Montreal... I also have quite a bit of family in Montreal as well. 

Also I guess I should have mentioned that I was born in Quebec (but moved to BC when I was really young) and I count as an IP...so the ROS contract doesn't apply to me.

I was kind of hoping people (perhaps current/past students or those who know current/past students) could give me some insight into the actual program and lifestyle as a med student at McGill.  

There are several points raised about the curriculum and program in another similar thread: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/95222-mcgill-vs-mcmaster/

Do you have any specific questions that aren't answered in that thread? 

Montreal is a great city to live in, with tons of diversity, great food, lots of culture - but November to April, it is a frozen wasteland. Winter isn't all bad, but the drawn-out months of cold and snow can certainly take a toll on your morale. 

Just stuff poutine in your ears to not hear the construction

UBC has been under perpetual construction for the last 15 years, if not longer.

UBC is a fine school, but I still would pick McGill if you want to try something new. You'll probably regret an adventure back to your roots, if you go with the "safe" bet of UBC.   If during medical school you decide you really want to come back to UBC, you can apply for residency here.  

Sure it may be slightly harder if you do residency in a different province to move back to BC, but people move all the time and its perfectly possible and probable. You'll make things work if thats what you want. 

Poutine is overrated cheesesister.

UBC looks like this

okanagan_campus_1920x700.jpg

Meanwhile, McGill....

mcgill-construction.jpg

I was on campus the other day and guess what y'all????? They're finally working on the road on mctavish. If this doesn't make you believe in miracle, i don't know what will. 

Archived