Premed 101 Forums

Ulaval Ou Mcgill?

Je cherche la sagesse générale afin de prendre une décision un peu plus éclairée sur mon choix de programme à savoir si je vais à Laval (où j'ai déjà été accepté) ou à McGill (où je suis présentement #2 sur la liste d'attente).

Backstory:

Je réside à Trois-Rivières depuis ma naissance je préfère la ville de Québec et ma copine a de la famille (j'ai aussi plus d'amis qui résident à Québec).

J'attend vos pour et/ou contre.

Merci à l'avance

Je ne suis vraiment pas câlée en la matière et j'avoue que c'est un gros dilemme. J'aurais tendance à choisir l'université dans la ville où tu te vois le plus faire ton externat, ta résidence et possiblement habiter et fonder ta famille là. Je pense que c'est faisable de changer de ville pour la résidence et pour ta carrière, mais ça sera peut-être plus difficile. McGill a une super bonne réputation à l'internationale et est bien côté pour la recherche, donc si c'est quelque chose d'important pour toi, c'est à considérer. Mais Laval aussi est une excellente université en recherche. C'est un choix difficile, va sur les site web de chaque faculté. Lis leur mission et objectifs (ça aide vraiment à cibler si tes valeurs concordent plus avec une université ou une autre selon la formulation de leur objectifs). Parle au registraire, ou à d'anciens étudiant. Visite les campus. Regarde les deux villes, laquelle t'inspirent le plus à étudier les 4 prochaines années. Bref, voilà mon deux cents. Bonne chance!

McGill is pass/fail, McGill has a very international student body which is really nice, it's in the heart of downtown which is also really nice.

Also, my impression is that McGill's cohort is much more accomplished than the cohort at any of the french schools (I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but hear me out): it seems that french schools seem to accept a lot more cégep students (inexperienced, probably hasn't accomplished that much) than university students. As well, french schools never look at your CV, and there is no "CV station" in the MEMs.. Therefore, you could do no extracurriculars and still be assessed equally compared to someone who has won olympic gold medals. At McGill, you'll likely be surrounded by many very accomplished people!

Also, I did not apply to either of these schools, I am not a medical student and don't know that much about medical school/residency. I am just a McGill student, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt :) 

McGill is pass/fail, McGill has a very international student body which is really nice, it's in the heart of downtown which is also really nice.

Also, my impression is that McGill's cohort is much more accomplished than the cohort at any of the french schools (I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but hear me out): it seems that french schools seem to accept a lot more cégep students (inexperienced, probably hasn't accomplished that much) than university students. As well, french schools never look at your CV, and there is no "CV station" in the MEMs.. Therefore, you could do no extracurriculars and still be assessed equally compared to someone who has won olympic gold medals. At McGill, you'll likely be surrounded by many very accomplished people!

Also, I did not apply to either of these schools, I am not a medical student and don't know that much about medical school/residency. I am just a McGill student, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt :)

Thank you both for your answers.

Another thing I am 39 with 2 Bacchelor's degree a master a PhD, and a postdoc.

Yes I really like to learn!

Yes, that's exactly that, your impression. Not a very reliable one it seems.

I don't know much about ULaval but something McGill is well known for is a very conservative (and borderline backwards) mentality so that's something to consider. For instance, from what I could read in the english par of the forum, their general surgery program is widely considered to be the worst in Canada for this reason. Amongst other things, clerks in this discipline are forbiden to speak directly to attendings or senior residents and must go through the junior resident who will then brief the senior resident, and so on. That's a rule that's enforced regardless of the level of urgency. That might be an outlandish example but I'd personally refuse to attend a school that allows (and takes pride in) such practices that are detrimental to learning and the quality of care. Something else to consider is that McGill's matching rate has been less than impressive in the last few years whereas Laval's as been amongst the best in Quebec and Canada.

Laval a aussi beaucoup d'échanges étudiants surtout en Europe à cause des Erasmus!! Donc ça t'ouvre des opportunités aussi! Pour le reste, je suis d'accord que les universités francophones accordent moins d'importance au CV et c'est un point négatif. Par contre, beaucoup de personne remplissent leurs CV avec une intention d'intérêt personnel et leur expériences sont plus ou moins significatives de la qualité de leur caractère. Le nombre de personne qui font à de "l'aide humanitaire" à l'internationale pour prendre des selfies et l'écrire dans leur essai, mais qui perpétue un genre de néocolonialisme complètement détestable pour la population locale. Les CV comme les notes, sont des couteaux à double-tranchant and can't be a real assessment of someone personality. Les gens au cégep sont peut-être moins accomplies faute de manque d'opportunités pour leur âge, mais peuvent devenir des personnes fascinantes et inspirantes à l'université et dans un domaine qui les passionne comme la médecine. 

Also, not to brag, but I have a very impressive CV from research to leadership roles to awards (about 3000 hours of volunteering in the past 3 years) and I didn't get an invite when a friend of mine did, and herself admitted her CV wasn't that great (2 work experiences and 300 hours volunteering in high school). I believe we are both excellent candidate. With McGill it can be also your references (maybe you are lucky to be close to someone in power) and your personal statement (which you can pay someone to write it for you). Overall, McGill puts an emphasis on accomplishments and I find that honourable and wish to see it happen in french universities too, but to say that french medical students tend to be less accomplished or that McGill students are more inspiring for their accomplishments, well that is fallacious. It's not to give you heat, but to add another perspective closer to the truth. 

Finally, I absolutely adore McGill and I believe it is a great university, but they did receive a warning and their accreditation for their medical school was suspended for many reasons, one being sketchy things behind their selection process. Each university has advantages and disadvantages, so let's avoid being hasty judgements to one or the other. 

Cheers!

But I'm young at heart!

My dad was around that age when he started medschool and medicine is still the love of his life and he regrets nothing. And he has an awesome family (#me) with memories of his beloved work. You'll have fun and will be able to realize something incredible for you and your society, that's all that counts!

Laval a aussi beaucoup d'échanges étudiants surtout en Europe à cause des Erasmus!! Donc ça t'ouvre des opportunités aussi! Pour le reste, je suis d'accord que les universités francophones accordent moins d'importance au CV et c'est un point négatif. Par contre, beaucoup de personne remplissent leurs CV avec une intention d'intérêt personnel et leur expériences sont plus ou moins significatives de la qualité de leur caractère. Le nombre de personne qui font à de "l'aide humanitaire" à l'internationale pour prendre des selfies et l'écrire dans leur essai, mais qui perpétue un genre de néocolonialisme complètement détestable pour la population locale. Les CV comme les notes, sont des couteaux à double-tranchant and can't be a real assessment of someone personality. Les gens au cégep sont peut-être moins accomplies faute de manque d'opportunités pour leur âge, mais peuvent devenir des personnes fascinantes et inspirantes à l'université et dans un domaine qui les passionne comme la médecine. 

Also, not to brag, but I have a very impressive CV from research to leadership roles to awards (about 3000 hours of volunteering in the past 3 years) and I didn't get an invite when a friend of mine did, and herself admitted her CV wasn't that great (2 work experiences and 300 hours volunteering in high school). I believe we are both excellent candidate. With McGill it can be also your references (maybe you are lucky to be close to someone in power) and your personal statement (which you can pay someone to write it for you). Overall, McGill puts an emphasis on accomplishments and I find that honourable and wish to see it happen in french universities too, but to say that french medical students tend to be less accomplished or that McGill students are more inspiring for their accomplishments, well that is fallacious. It's not to give you heat, but to add another perspective closer to the truth. 

Finally, I absolutely adore McGill and I believe it is a great university, but they did receive a warning and their accreditation for their medical school was suspended for many reasons, one being sketchy things behind their selection process. Each university has advantages and disadvantages, so let's avoid being hasty judgements to one or the other. 

Cheers!

Thanks for your post. It reinforces what I believe to be the greatest asset of McGill which is to lend more importance (or at least subjective evaluations) to experience and I for myself would also really like to see this trend in French universities.

I AM SO TORN

Thanks for your post. It reinforces what I believe to be the greatest asset of McGill which is to lend more importance (or at least subjective evaluations) to experience and I for myself would also really like to see this trend in French universities.

I AM SO T

What did you finally choose ?

J'ai eu exactement le même dilemme l'an passé, je sais que c'est pas facile. 

Je ne suis pas d'accord, c'est totalement leggit de comparer McGill à Laval, il y a beaucoup de points positifs aux deux, et les deux ont certains points négatifs, c'est tout naturel ! Je peux te dire un peu les points que j'ai considéré moi-même..

- La ville (pour ma part, je ne connaissais pas Québec, mais je n'aimais pas beaucoup de feeling très "ville" de Montréal. Québec c'est merveilleux finalement), ça dépend de tes préférences. Les deux ont de bons moyens de transports, des activités à faire, des gens intéressants, etc. 

- La langue. J'ai essayé de ne pas trop le considérer dans mon choix, parce que d'une façon ou d'une autre on s'habitue. Mais l'aisance dans la langue peut être un facteur à considérer. 

- L'ambiance. Ce facteur a beaucoup joué pour moi. À uLaval il y a vraiment une ambiance friendly, tout le monde s'aide, c'est facile de parler à tout le monde. McGill (selon certains commentaire que j'ai eu, ce n'est peut-être pas représentatif de toute une cohorte), est plus compétitif, avec des gens tout aussi friendly. 

- Le programme. Les deux ont d'excellents programmes et d'excellents professeurs. En 2 ans à Laval vs. McGill, l'horaire est est très semblable. Les 2 offrent des opportunités de stage. Pour Laval (je ne sais malheureusement pas pour McGill), il y a aussi beaucoup d'opportunités pour l'été (recherche, stages IFMSA, stages au Québec en milieu communautaire, stages humanitaires, etc.). Pour ce qui est du pass/fail vs. notes, c'est sur que c'est agréable pass/fail, mais au final ça ne change pas grand chose, et il y a aussi plusieurs discussions sur le sujet à uLaval (rien n'est fait, mais c'est dans les possibilités). 

Bref, c'est très déchirant comme décision, ultimement une ou l'autre tu va aimer le lieu que tu as choisis ! Il n'y a pas une seule bonne décision, va avec ton gut-feeling. J'espère que ça peut aider, mais au final suis ton instinct ;)  

Archived