Premed 101 Forums

I am currently in my 3rd year but technically still 2nd. My first year was a mess resulting in a 1.9 GPA. I switched schools, didn't transferring anything (didn't have to) and now I have a 3.8 GPA...so technically 2nd year there. I'm planning on applying to UBC med in 2 years and don't believe I should have a problem keeping up with my current GPA. My only problem is that first year. UBC says I need to give them ALL post-secondary transcripts, but I really don't want to give them that first year. If I were to exclude it, could they find out? And if so, how? I just had a rough year that year due to outside circumstances and never had marks that low so I really don't want to use them. And if I were to include them how much would it damage my application, especially say if I went down to about 3.5 by 4th year. Thanks for the help!

Once you've completed 120 credits, UBC Med will remove your worst year (30 credits max.) when considering your application. I would assume UBC Med could find out, and it would disqualify your application, and even impact your application in upcoming application cycles - I would not advise it.

There is a portion in all medical school application where you can provide explanations about certain portions of your app - I would advise to do this, since you describe outside circumstances impacting your performance.

Good luck!

Archived