Premed 101 Forums

Lack Of Extra-Curricular Activities?

Hi there,

I just finished my first year and I was looking to get more involved with extra-curricular and volunteer activities. Only things that I like doing for fun are playing sports and working out so I played intramural sports this year. All the other ECs that I was involved with this year are volunteer activities (volunteer research assistant, hospital, retirement home, volunteer trainer). I have some commitments lined up in 2nd year but again, almost all of them are volunteer activities besides playing intramural sports. 

I thought of joining clubs but I hated clubs in high school and I am not interested in the clubs offered at my university. When I checked ECs of accepted applicants on Premed101, I noticed that the majority of them were involved with clubs, most of them being the executives. I can't see myself attending weekly club meetings that I don't enjoy. I also don't like playing musical instruments.

Like I said, things I like doing for fun are only sports and working out. I have been volunteering as an exercise assistant at a retirement home and as a volunteer trainer at a fitness centre assisting cancer patients. I am passionate about fitness and a physically active lifestyle so I really enjoy these activities and will probably continue until I graduate. 

So my question is, will it be a major issue if most of my ECs are volunteer activities? 

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I just finished my first year and I was looking to get more involved with extra-curricular and volunteer activities. Only things that I like doing for fun are playing sports and working out so I played intramural sports this year. All the other ECs that I was involved with this year are volunteer activities (volunteer research assistant, hospital, retirement home, volunteer trainer). I have some commitments lined up in 2nd year but again, almost all of them are volunteer activities besides playing intramural sports. 

I thought of joining clubs but I hated clubs in high school and I am not interested in the clubs offered at my university. When I checked ECs of accepted applicants on Premed101, I noticed that the majority of them were involved with clubs, most of them being the executives. I can't see myself attending weekly club meetings that I don't enjoy. I also don't like playing musical instruments.

Like I said, things I like doing for fun are only sports and working out. I have been volunteering as an exercise assistant at a retirement home and as a volunteer trainer at a fitness centre assisting cancer patients. I am passionate about fitness and a physically active lifestyle so I really enjoy these activities and will probably continue until I graduate. 

So my question is, will it be a major issue if most of my ECs are volunteer activities? 

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Start a club! The process at most schools is fairly straightforward. What sports are you interested in? Does the school have that club? If not, start one.. 

Start a club! The process at most schools is fairly straightforward. What sports are you interested in? Does the school have that club? If not, start one.. 

I am interested in basketball and I thought of starting a basketball club for organizing pick-up games. But I don't see why anyone would join the club when you can just go to a gym and find people on the court. 

ECs are usually volunteer activities. If you are paid for an activity it usually has it's own place in an application. E.g., there is a paid/work experiences section on UBC's MD application.

Right, but aren't non-academics part of applications usually divided into volunteer (service you do for others eg. volunteering at a hospital ) and extracurricular (things you do for fun eg. sports, musical instruments) activities? I am just worried that most of my entries will be volunteer activities. 

Right, but aren't non-academics part of applications usually divided into volunteer (service you do for others eg. volunteering at a hospital ) and extracurricular (things you do for fun eg. sports, musical instruments) activities? I am just worried that most of my entries will be volunteer activities. 

Not everywhere. I think that's how it is divided on the OMSAS application, but Calgary has its Top 10 and UBC has non academic sections for awards, research, leadership, service ethic, capacity to work with others, and diversity of experience. 

Were you apart of any clubs/sports teams in high school? The vast majority of my extracurriculars listed came from past high school commitments. I also included things like "pick-up basketball" that I'd do at the gym during my undergrad.

Were you apart of any clubs/sports teams in high school? The vast majority of my extracurriculars listed came from past high school commitments. I also included things like "pick-up basketball" that I'd do at the gym during my undergrad.

I have a few leadership roles from high school (leading one club although I didn't enjoy it, managing a team for one season, minor student council roles). I do play pick-up basketball but how would you get a verifier for entries like these? 

I have a few leadership roles from high school (leading one club although I didn't enjoy it, managing a team for one season, minor student council roles). I do play pick-up basketball but how would you get a verifier for entries like these? 

Awesome, I would use those as part of your extracurricular entries! Remember, it's everything that you've done since you were 16. Regarding your verifier question, I just asked another student that would show up frequently.

I am interested in basketball and I thought of starting a basketball club for organizing pick-up games. But I don't see why anyone would join the club when you can just go to a gym and find people on the court. 

That would be a great idea! You never know how many people are interested until you try. Go to the gym and ask people if they would be interested in something like that. You'd probably be surprised. 

Archived