Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill, Udem Or Sherbrooke?

Hi everyone, first of all, congrats to all who have been accepted. Now I'm writing this post because I am very conflicted in choosing the "better" school. I live on the Island of Montreal and I am coming from CEGEP. I wanted to know what you suggest as the school you think is better, from experience or knowledge. I know that Sherbrooke is a 4 year program, but does that mean I have a lot of summer classes? Anyways please let me know what you think, McGill, UdeM or Sherbrooke.

McGill is pass/fail which makes things less stressful and competitive. Or UdeM if you want to study in French.

If you stay close to home, your parents will be able to help you (with cooking and stuff). 

Something to consider is that Sherbrooke is renewing it's curriculum next year. The new curriculum will more or less abandon the classic system-based structure to replace with a complaint-based structure that is far closer to real clinical practice where a patient will present himself with a complaint instead of telling you that his issue is caused by a specific system. The clerkship also has been re-worked and is now 2 year long instead of 1,5 years. The electives have been moved and no longer are your first rotations which should help with matching at CARMS even though Sherbrooke already gets consistently high match rates at the CARMS.

The fact that the Sherbrooke program is only 4 years might seem neglectable but I can tell you that once you start your pre-clinical years, you will without a doubt want to start clinical practice as soon as possible, which Sherbrooke allows you to do after 2 years instead of 3. It also gives you one more year to do other things like research or an MSc without falling behind your classmates at other schools with a 5 year curriculum.

Finally, I think I can say without any doubt that Sherbrooke has by far the best student life in Canada and that was confirmed by MacLeans which ranked Sherbrooke as the university that is the most appreciated by its students in all of Canada. For instance, McGill finished 12th out of the 15 canadian universities with a medical school.

All in all, I can't say anyone in my class regrets chosing Sherbrooke. Regarding the vacations, we currently get 10 weeks (2 months) and I think that will be what you guys will have. The summer semester is shorter and the subjets are usually much more laid back. For instance, we're in our public health unit and it's a very short unit that even contains a 6 day period where we have absolutely no classes.

18588810_1532663800086252_58084807082376

I second Snowmen! Unless you want to study in English, Sherbrooke would be a solid choice. I also heard that the FMEQ will be pressuring the French schools this year to adopt the pass/fail system, so here are chances it could happen. Good luck with your decision! :)

Something to consider is that Sherbrooke is renewing it's curriculum next year. The new curriculum will more or less abandon the classic system-based structure to replace with a complaint-based structure that is far closer to real clinical practice where a patient will present himself with a complaint instead of telling you that his issue is caused by a specific system. The clerkship also has been re-worked and is now 2 year long instead of 1,5 years. The electives have been moved and no longer are your first rotations which should help with matching at CARMS even though Sherbrooke already gets consistently high match rates at the CARMS.

The fact that the Sherbrooke program is only 4 years might seem neglectable but I can tell you that once you start your pre-clinical years, you will without a doubt want to start clinical practice as soon as possible, which Sherbrooke allows you to do after 2 years instead of 3. It also gives you one more year to do other things like research or an MSc without falling behind your classmates at other schools with a 5 year curriculum.

Finally, I think I can say without any doubt that Sherbrooke has by far the best student life in Canada and that was confirmed by MacLeans which ranked Sherbrooke as the university that is the most appreciated by its students in all of Canada. For instance, McGill finished 12th out of the 15 canadian universities with a medical school.

All in all, I can't say anyone in my class regrets chosing Sherbrooke. Regarding the vacations, we currently get 10 weeks (2 months) and I think that will be what you guys will have. The summer semester is shorter and the subjets are usually much more laid back. For instance, we're in our public health unit and it's a very short unit that even contains a 6 day period where we have absolutely no classes.

Sounds interesting, what prompted that change and what type of evidence is there supporting that change? 

Sounds interesting, what prompted that change and what type of evidence is there supporting that change?

As mentioned, the change was made to create a curriculum that is closer to actual practice as patients present themselves with a complaint rather than telling you which system is implicated.

Regarding the research backing this change, I unfortunately cannot tell you much as I don't know myself, not having been involved with the student academic committee. What I know is that it is the result of multiple years of consultations that involved the whole faculty.

Heyhey merci pour toute cette information! Est-ce que cette grille est représentative du curriculum que nous allons suivre si on rentre en automne 2017? Puisque leur curiculum a changé, est-ce que la répartition des semestres sur les 4 années (avec semaines de vacances, etc) va changer aussi? 

Heyhey merci pour toute cette information! Est-ce que cette grille est représentative du curriculum que nous allons suivre si on rentre en automne 2017? Puisque leur curiculum a changé, est-ce que la répartition des semestres sur les 4 années (avec semaines de vacances, etc) va changer aussi? 

oui c'est le nouveau curriculum

Les semaines de vacances vont être similaires au pré-cliniques (vous en aurez 9 vs 10 pour nous je crois) mais vous aurez de plus longues vacances à l'externat (3 vs 1 pour nous si j'ai bien calculé).

Archived