Premed 101 Forums

Biology Pre-Req?

Hey everybody,

Congratulations to all who received an offer, and best of luck for those of you on the waitlist!

I just have a question regarding the lab component of the biology prereq. I'm at the University of Guelph, and all of our first year biology classes had seminars, although one had a few "labs" here and there. I'm also taking a full year dissection anatomy courses, but I'm not sure if that counts. Does anybody know if it does, or if any Guelph applicants could shed some insight?

I did email the admissions, but they sent a generic email saying that it was the applicant's responsibility to ensure that it is acceptable.

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure, but your experience with the emailing is similar to mine. If I were you, I would either call or try again BUT I would wait until July. It's a really crappy time for admissions officers right now. I think you'll get a better and more thoughtful answer if they've had some time to breathe.

Thank you! I'm thinking of applying this upcoming cycle; I have a 3.91 GPA and will be applying to the French stream. Do you think I have a shot?

Thanks both of you! And congratulations!

Do any of you know what level of proficiency you need in French? I've done French Immersion, I'm quite comfortable with the language, but at the same time it's clear I'm not a full on francophone.. not really sure what they're looking for.

I actually have a CASPer question... Since the school technically lets people write in either language for testing once you're in (except for the practicum stuff of course) do you think it's a possibility to take the french casper (french videos and questions) but answer in English? Like SoraAde I'm bilingual and fluent but English is still my first language. Casper is hard for people even in their first language because it's a race against the clock... I would have no problem understanding the video and the questions but I think that my slowness when it comes to French writing would absolutely bar me from ever applying to the French stream despite knowing I could interview in French and practice in French.

I actually have a CASPer question... Since the school technically lets people write in either language for testing once you're in (except for the practicum stuff of course) do you think it's a possibility to take the french casper (french videos and questions) but answer in English? Like SoraAde I'm bilingual and fluent but English is still my first language. Casper is hard for people even in their first language because it's a race against the clock... I would have no problem understanding the video and the questions but I think that my slowness when it comes to French writing would absolutely bar me from ever applying to the French stream despite knowing I could interview in French and practice in French.

If you take the French casper, then you need to answer in French. But you don't have to write as good as Alexandre Dumas :P (and trust me, neither do I !!)  I took twice the casper for Qc universities and I went straight to the point, short sentences, not a single accent (French is horrible for that), no subject sometimes as well. I mean, you'll be evaluated on your thought process, ideas and key CanMEDS competencies on a given scenario. Bon succès ! :) 

Mr Trout

On the CASPer website, it says that syntax, grammar and spelling are ignored by evaluators, so you should be good omitting accents, worrying about grammar, etc!

You don't have to be francais du Quebec but make sure to make an effort to answer everything in french. They won't like it if you constantly revert to english words. You don't have to use fancy terminology either just regular common french should be fine! 

Mr Duck

You don't have to be francais du Quebec but make sure to make an effort to answer everything in french. They won't like it if you constantly revert to english words. You don't have to use fancy terminology either just regular common french should be fine!

Mr Duck

Going through these forums tell me your wisdom is never ending Mr. Duck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-20 at 3:41 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Mr Duck

Do you think it would be a big deal if we made mistakes such as "le pomme" (something along those lines) during the interview? I'm sure I can deliver my message and I'm generally confident when speaking but worried about making mistakes like that, or if those would disqualify me. 

Don't worry about that, you should worry more about getting stuck and reverting to English. If you revert to English because you are stuck that will not be perceived well by the interviewers. They are instructed to pick candidates that are likely to serve the francophone community, so if you end up going to English a lot or not being able to express yourself well (getting stuck too long with your words) then you will be at a big disadvantage. However small mistakes like that is not a problem at all, if you persist in french it shows you are putting the effort. Practice speaking french a lot before your interview to get back in the vibe of it and you should have no problems.

Mr Duck

Archived