Premed 101 Forums

Why Don't French Schools Use The P/f System?

Hi, I don't understand why french schools don't use the P/F system? It seems to reduce a lot of stress and decrease competition/increase teamwork... What is the advantage of using the grading system?

Last I heard, FMEQ was working on demanding P/F in french schools! In my university, for nutrition we were still grading internships and not for any sound reason, so I organized general assemblies and petitioned to ask the direction to change the internships. When I finished my internships, I met the director a cocktail and got told they finally changed their evaluation methods for P/F starting probably next year if they get approved. 

So I dont think there is a particular reason for the grading system except it has been the status quo for so long and the administration have a hard time imagining P/F system. A bit of lobbying may be all it takes! I also heard it might be helpful for CARMs because some committees consider it gives them a better insight on your performance and thus it can make you more competitive if you have a good grade than simply having P/F. 

• 2 weeks later...

sherbrooke's clerkship will be pass/fail starting from next year ! 

But there will still be comments? What does the clerkships being pass/fail change?

It will be good to get everything on the same footing if you are going that way. We certainly do use the grade information if it is available which creates a two tier system - not exactly fair. 

When assessing a student's file that includes grades (ie: francophone medical students), what's the threshold where it becomes an advantage or a disadvantage (ie: what do you consider to be average)?

When assessing a student's file that includes grades (ie: francophone medical students), what's the threshold where it becomes an advantage or a disadvantage (ie: what do you consider to be average)?

that is the problem - it is completely up to the program/reviewer

Archived