Premed 101 Forums

Matching To Research-Intensive/competitive Specialties From A Satellite Campus

Maybe Rmorelan can correct me but Radiology isn't terribly research heavy. I applied to Rads (as a back up) and had multiple interviews with no research.

I went to waterloo campus. You won't get any good research in waterloo, but you can set one up in Hamilton and work in it from home and drive down when you need to.

Don't take the extra year of research. It makes you stand out in the wrong way. People don't really know about Macs structure and seeing it took 4 years to complete a 3 year program almost always looks bad.

Don't take the extra year of research. It makes you stand out in the wrong way. People don't really know about Macs structure and seeing it took 4 years to complete a 3 year program almost always looks bad.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. There are plenty of students who have to take a year off for personal reasons and I don't think residency programs care if you are transparent about the reason. It's not like taking a year off says something negative about their capabilities as clinicians. Residency programs shouldn't punish students for taking a year off for their own health, or to pursue an unique opportunity that came up during their medical school career.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. There are plenty of students who have to take a year off for personal reasons and I don't think residency programs care if you are transparent about the reason. It's not like taking a year off says something negative about their capabilities as clinicians. Residency programs shouldn't punish students for taking a year off for their own health, or to pursue an unique opportunity that came up during their medical school career.

To take a year off would have it would to be an amazing oppourtunity.

Honestly, for small residency programs that have heavy call requirements, taking a year off for personal reasons can be a huge red flag (not that it should be). Ultimately it's everyone else picking up the slack. Is this unfair discrimination? Yes. Does this happen in certain program? Absolutely. Taking a year off for personal reasons can be seen as weak and with the subjectivness of residency selection that can make or break an application.

For bigger less call intensive residency program, it's probably less of an issue.

Archived