Premed 101 Forums

5Th Year, Extra Courses, Or Gap Year?

Hi everyone, 

I just completed my final year of undergrad in Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta. My cGPA is a 3.65 (with 1 spring course). My first year GPA was pretty low... 1st year: 3.00, 2nd: 3.77, 3rd: 3.84, 4th: 3.91 (every year has been 5 courses per semester).

I am currently retaking my MCAT as I scored a 509 last year with a pretty low CARS score. I will be applying to medical schools again this cycle, and I'm currently in the process of deciding what to do this coming year. My ECs include a lot of community involvement, with several leadership positions. I am lacking however in the research department, as I haven't had the opportunity to get involved. Currently I am debating if I should take some more courses to boost my GPA a bit, or if I should take a year off, possibly do some research and focus on volunteering and other personal projects (I am currently leaning towards this). I assume that none of the stuff I do in terms of working and volunteering will help me out with this application, and thus I've begun thinking about taking courses as that may be a possible way to aid in my chances this cycle. Honestly, I am quite confused with what to do now as this is the first time in my life that I'll supposedly be out of school. Personally I believe taking a gap year  would be best for my character, and building greater life experiences, however it may not be the best option for boosting my current application. Any advice is greatly appreciated, if anyone has some input or insight from their own experiences PLEASE feel free to share it!

Thanks!! :) :)

Hey,
I was in a similar situation regarding GPA and research at the end of my fourth year. I decided to take a 5th year to bolster my GPA and get some more research experience and it worked out pretty well. I did an honours (since it's just credit for a research project) and was involved with 3 other studies as a co-investigator. Your 2 year GPA is okay but you could definitely benefit from another year at 3.9+.

I wouldn't say that none of the stuff you do in terms of work or volunteering during a year off would help your application. If you are taking the time off, make sure to stay involved in things that you enjoy doing! Or pick up a new hobby etc. Use the time to grow as a person and show that you can function productively outside of just getting good grades.  :D

Hey,

I was in a similar situation regarding GPA and research at the end of my fourth year. I decided to take a 5th year to bolster my GPA and get some more research experience and it worked out pretty well. I did an honours (since it's just credit for a research project) and was involved with 3 other studies as a co-investigator. Your 2 year GPA is okay but you could definitely benefit from another year at 3.9+.

I wouldn't say that none of the stuff you do in terms of work or volunteering during a year off would help your application. If you are taking the time off, make sure to stay involved in things that you enjoy doing! Or pick up a new hobby etc. Use the time to grow as a person and show that you can function productively outside of just getting good grades.  :D

Thanks for the reply, I have already graduated from my degree, so I would not know how to go about taking another year to increase my GPA (I'm assuming I'd have to apply for another degree). If i did decide to take another year, that would require me to take a full course load again right? And I'm assuming that it wouldn't look too great if I took all first year courses again, so I'd have to hit a bunch of senior courses. Unfortunately, I've taken all (or the majority) of the senior courses in my department that are offered without lab components, and all the remaining courses have lengthy labs, which would honestly make one seriously tough year if I did do this. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply, I have already graduated from my degree, so I would not know how to go about taking another year to increase my GPA (I'm assuming I'd have to apply for another degree). If i did decide to take another year, that would require me to take a full course load again right? And I'm assuming that it wouldn't look too great if I took all first year courses again, so I'd have to hit a bunch of senior courses. Unfortunately, I've taken all (or the majority) of the senior courses in my department that are offered without lab components, and all the remaining courses have lengthy labs, which would honestly make one seriously tough year if I did do this. Any thoughts?

Hmmm yeah, that does make things a little bit more difficult. Your GPA is still competitive for both UofC and UofA IP in which case I think taking a year off would be your best bet. 

Archived