Premed 101 Forums

Should I Do A 5Th Year Or Call It?

Hi, 

So I have just completed my 4th year of med sci at UWO and am doing an extra semester abroad this fall, and am considering whether to just do a full 5th year.  

I had a pretty shit GPA the first two years, not so sure what my actual GPA was but my averages were like 79 in first year and 75ish in second year. I had extenuating circumstances at home so I was able to stay in medical sciences at uwo. 

The last two years of my undergrad my GPA was a 3.86 (3rd year and 4th combined). My fourth year is better than my third year. 

I am going abroad next semester and have to get my courses approved as western courses, so they will still get percentage grades on my transcript.

Since I am doing another semester abroad, would it be worth taking 5 courses (including some third year courses) abroad so that I could complete another semester here, so that I have a fifth year of a good GPA (hopefully) that would count towards med school?

Or should I just go abroad and take a part time load and enjoy it more? In this case, I would come home and hopefully work in the lab again to save up some money. 

I want to get into med, preferably in Canada but am open to the USA as well. 

OTHER INFORMATION 

(Got a 513 or 514 ? (90th percentile) on the MCAT this summer, 128 in CARS). I have decent research experience (genetics and psych labs, obtained an NSERC student research grant, and am hoping to be published this summer). I have a lot of global volunteering experience/minimum wage work experience. 

I appreciate any help!! Thank you so much

Calculate your GPA using the OMSAS scale and also apply the weighting for the different schools to see where you stand. Also look into how the different schools consider semesters abroad and if taking a part-time course load will have any impact. For instance, if any semester is part-time you may not qualify for the weighting for UofT. Just double check if this applies in your case. 

Calculate your GPA using the OMSAS scale and also apply the weighting for the different schools to see where you stand. Also look into how the different schools consider semesters abroad and if taking a part-time course load will have any impact. For instance, if any semester is part-time you may not qualify for the weighting for UofT. Just double check if this applies in your case. 

sounds like a great stare - the devil is in the details :) l

Archived