Premed 101 Forums

Md Student Grading

Hello!

Just out of curiosity -- is anyone knowledgeable about how the school grades students? 

Outside of pass/fail, is there an honour system? 

As well, is it usually the first class student who is named Valedictorian?

I hope this doesn't step on any toes!

Thanks. 

Hello!

Just out of curiosity -- is anyone knowledgeable about how the school grades students?

Thanks.

No honour system, just pass/fail. There are awards for those who get the top grades in classes and overall through medical school.

Valedictorian is chosen by the class, not decided through grades.

Like with most Canadian medical schools, beyond a pass, grades don't really matter.

No honour system, just pass/fail. There are awards for those who get the top grades in classes and overall through medical school.

Valedictorian is chosen by the class, not decided through grades.

Like with most Canadian medical schools, beyond a pass, grades don't really matter.

and those awards come out AFTER CARMS so they don't help with that part of the process either. 

and those awards come out AFTER CARMS so they don't help with that part of the process either. 

Well, there are the block-specific ones for pre-clerkship that get decided pre-CaRMS, though I don't know how much those are really worth on the CaRMS tour.

Hello!

Thanks. 

Great questions Natalie.

Specifically for the Valedictorian questions I think you should start aggressively campaigning as early as possible. People will see that you are a go-getter and you will acquire a support group very quickly.

Best of luck!

Great questions Natalie.

Specifically for the Valedictorian questions I think you should start aggressively campaigning as early as possible. People will see that you are a go-getter and you will acquire a support group very quickly.

Best of luck!

right......... :)

So does this mean that academically, everyone who passes is on the same footing for CARMS? What do they use to distinguish between candidates then, because I've seen several posts where people say CARMS doesn't really care for the extracurriculars as much as it does academics and research ..(unless I'm completely mistaken)

So does this mean that academically, everyone who passes is on the same footing for CARMS? What do they use to distinguish between candidates then, because I've seen several posts where people say CARMS doesn't really care for the extracurriculars as much as it does academics and research ..(unless I'm completely mistaken)

basically yes - it is the downside of all the pass/fail system. It relieves stress early, but there is a bit of problem later on. You can be a really hard working student, really know your stuff but there would be no proof. Meanwhile someone not as focused on studying, but doing research, ECs etc may be weaker clinically but actually look better on paper. Some people think that is a problem - you are being rewarded for things that don't as directly make you a better doctor. You would be in theory relying on LOR and elective subjective impression to make up the difference for evaluation/CARMS but that is somewhat random. 

Everything is a tradeoff :)

In the US there is still some randomness but the score on the standardized tests make somethings easier - you for instance would know what the score you need to get competitive things for instance, and can work towards that goal directly. 

Yup, academics are pretty much a wash when it comes time for CaRMS. Aside from the odd candidate with failures on their transcripts, we're all pretty much the same grades-wise.

The most important aspect for most programs in the CaRMS match is in-person experience with the program, usually during elective rotations, as well as interviews. Letters of Reference matter, but these are usually good-to-excellent for most candidates as well. Research is of varying usefulness, depending on the discipline/program, and while few programs explicitly value extra-curriculars to the point that they much of a difference, they can be very helpful to point to during interviews.

Archived