Premed 101 Forums

Applying To Md/phd Program From 1St Year Phd Program At U Of T

http://md.utoronto.ca/mdphd-admissions

I know at McMaster, first year PhD's are still allowed to apply for the program as our first year of MD/PhD is also our first year of PhD.

But at Toronto, all MD/PhD's start with 1st year of Medical School so I'm unsure how they fly. But according to the link above, it seems that they make it clear that only graduate students in their final year of their Master's are eligible to apply.

From my understanding, UofT will not let you leave your graduate program half way through to start an MD or MD/PhD. It doesn't really matter where you are completing your PhD. Maybe others can correct me if I am wrong, but you must be complete all requirements of your graduate degree (MSc or PhD) before June 30 of the year you are matriculating. That means if your PhD is 4 years, you would not be able to apply until your 3rd year of your PhD is starting and then pray you don't have any setbacks for your dissertation defence. I believe this was put in place to protect the investment made by researchers in training students and also to prevent graduate studies being used as a quick 1-year "placeholder" while students are applying to medicine. At this point, if you wish to apply in the next couple years, I believe the only option would be leave your current program and become a non-student (though that is quite a big risk).

There are some students in our class who already have a PhD, and many with an MSc, but all finished degree requirements by the deadline. After having a PhD, you are still eligible to apply for the MD program. Doubt you'd want to do another PhD.

You cannot "transfer" into the MD/PHD program from a current U of T  Masters or PhD.   If you are in the MD program, you can apply after first year to join the MD/PhD program.   U of T does not accept MD applications where you would need to exit a Masters or PhD early to attend.

Archived