Premed 101 Forums

Guidance On Choosing Between Schools

I am in the very fortunate situation to have two medical offers this cycle, Queen's and McMaster. I never thought I'd be in a position where I'd have more than one offer, so I always told myself that I would go to whichever school accepted me. I have browsed through the forums and found several threads over the last few years detailing factors to consider when making a decision about which school to attend. 

I was hoping that I would be able to PM some Queen's or Mac students on their experience so far, and perhaps receive some guidance on which school may be a better fit for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! These forums have been tremendously helpful throughout my undergrad and helped me get to where I am today. 

Hey congrats on your offers! Wondering though... wasn't May 23th the deadline to decide? Or were both offers off of the waitlist? Either way, congrats! I don't think you can go wrong. I have heard that 4 year programs have the advantage of allowing students to complete all their core rotations before doing electives. As well, they allow students more time to decide which specialty to pursue. I'm sure others who are current students will be happy to help you!

Hey congrats on your offers! Wondering though... wasn't May 23th the deadline to decide? Or were both offers off of the waitlist? Either way, congrats! I don't think you can go wrong. I have heard that 4 year programs have the advantage of allowing students to complete all their core rotations before doing electives. As well, they allow students more time to decide which specialty to pursue. I'm sure others who are current students will be happy to help you!

Yes both offers were off the waitlist! I've heard the similar things about the 3 vs 4 year programs as well. 

Not entirely true for Queen's, they have some elective blocks mixed in with cores. However, you will have more time to prep for securing electives, rather than having to decide soon after your first year. If you have a good idea of what you want to specialize in and are determined to get there soon though, it's always nice to do that in 3 years and save a year of tuition  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 9:21 PM, Salman93 said:

I am in the very fortunate situation to have two medical offers this cycle, Queen's and McMaster. I never thought I'd be in a position where I'd have more than one offer, so I always told myself that I would go to whichever school accepted me. I have browsed through the forums and found several threads over the last few years detailing factors to consider when making a decision about which school to attend. 

I was hoping that I would be able to PM some Queen's or Mac students on their experience so far, and perhaps receive some guidance on which school may be a better fit for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! These forums have been tremendously helpful throughout my undergrad and helped me get to where I am today. 

Which one did you choose and what swayed it in the end? Thx in advance.

Archived