Premed 101 Forums

I Need Reassurance That I Am Not Wasting All My Money

I have been creeping this website for a long time, so I decided to make an account and ask about my situation for a second opinion. I have just completed my third year of a BSC at a Canadian university. I'm applying to schools in the states this application cycle, aiming to submit on June 1st (transcripts should arrive shorty after, as well as reference letters).

cGPA = 3.78

sGPA = 3.78

MCAT = 506 (127/127/125/127)

ECs:

- 1 year of first aider for a varsity sports team

- 3 years of volunteering in the hospital in various departments

- 1 year as a volunteer in a research laboratory

- 1 year as a volunteer in a research project in the hospital

- 2 years working at a gold course over the summer

- president of a club at school

- stuff from high school I don't feel like typing

I have on my list right now Oakland, Pennsylvania State, Rutgers (both), Sidney Kimmel, Stony Brook, SUNY, Tufts, Kentucky, Maryland, Albert Einstein, Harvard, Mayo, New York.

Can someone give me reassurance or advice? I am terrified I will not even get considered. 

Dont bother. Just wait until you have 4th year under your belt. Focus on improving your app for Canada first. Retake the mcat, invest time into that.

that doesn't sound unreasonable - why do you think you had issues with the MCAT? Seems fairly broad low score which usually means there is an underlying concern that can be addressed. 

Dont bother. Just wait until you have 4th year under your belt. Focus on improving your app for Canada first. Retake the mcat, invest time into that.

Agreed. USMD is NOT easier than Canadian MD schools at all, especially your GPA and MCAT is average.

If you can't get into Canadian MD school, you will have a better chance at USDO.

Just my personal opinion. You always can give it a try.

Agree with above comments  - Your MCAT / GPA combination make you a very long shot at interviews. 

A friend last cycle with 3.83 / 507 got zero invites for 16 applications.  Applicant had strong ECs including physician shadowing at a US hospital.  +$4K and huge effort down the drain.

Agreed with all the above comments. USMD as an international is by no means easier than Canadian schools especially with the GPA MCAT combo that you have. I got only 3 invites from ~20 apps with 3.97 and 514, and I didn't even apply to top schools such as Harvard. Take one more year to improve your GPA and MCAT and reevaluate next year

Thanks guys!

I'm basically done my app, and splitting the cost with my parents, so I think I'll aim to some lower schools and give it a shot.

I'm considering rewriting the MCAT later, if work allows.

Speedy responses were super appreciated!

Keep in mind that if you are unsuccessful this year, being a REapplicant next year can put you at a reasonable disadvantage for USMD next year.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!

I'm basically done my app, and splitting the cost with my parents, so I think I'll aim to some lower schools and give it a shot. 

I'm considering rewriting the MCAT later, if work allows.

Speedy responses were super appreciated!

Double check that the schools you are applying to actually accepted any Canadians over the past few years.  Don't waste your time and money if they did not.  Don't apply to Harvard unless you have a rich Uncle on the board or something.    Re-write your MCAT in any case in prep for Canadian applications.

Hey! 

So it turns out my GPA is actually a 3.8, and my science GPA a bit higher (my GPA in second year was 3.85, then 3.95 in third year, it's only first year bringing me down!). I've looked through the MSAR (for hours last night and today, I really need to stop looking at statistics before my head implodes), and it looks like for most of the schools I'm applying to I'm in the 50-75th percentile for GPA, and 25-50th for MCAT. Not amazing by any means, but I'm going to try - maybe I'll get lucky!

I've changed the schools I'm applying to: Central Michigan, Michigan State, Oakland, West Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Chicago, George Washington, New York, Rutgers (Robert Wood Johnson), Sidney Kimmel, SUNY, Tufts and Kentucky (have family in Kentucky)

I've seen my reference letters and they seem really solid (I almost cried reading one of them - I didn't know my old boss had such nice things to write, he's not a man of many words).

I'm hoping that submitting my application as early as possible will help.

Thanks again. 

If anyone has any additional advice, let me know!

sounds like you picked your course :) I would still prepare to repeat the MCAT once you figure out what is going on there (if you are getting 3.8 GPA then it seems like you should be doing better on that test - at least some of the sections etc ) 

hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Archived