Premed 101 Forums

Bsc To M.eng To Mscpt To Md?

Hi all,

I've wanted to do physio for the last few years, but hadn't gotten in. After a 5-year BSc, I did a Masters of Engineering and Public Policy on a full-ride scholarship just to take up time until the next MPT cycle.. which I was just accepted into. I recently heard about the field of physiatry (physical medicine and rehabilitation), which appeals to me as it's a more holistic view of patient care, but still includes PT in the picture. I plan on volunteering with a physiatrist throughout my PT degree to get a better understanding, to see if it's even for me. 

I'll be almost 26 by the time I graduate from PT -- my question is whether it might seem like a good idea to go back and do an MD to get into physiatry, IF I find it interesting during my time volunteering? My main internal conflict is obviously not being able to start a family and settling down + no disposable income, but i know that if I don't get into an MD program, I'll still be able to work as a physiotherapist. 

Am I crazy to consider going back to school after? Thoughts?

26 is still fairly young, especially if you scroll through the non-trad success stories. 

I will be ~27 when I finish my PhD and (hopefully) start medical school, so I guess I am in a similar boat. 

If you are serious about pursuing medicine, just ensure you spend adequate time over the next few years volunteering and doing other extracurriculars that will make you competitive when you apply. This level of time commitment is fairly substantial, so if I were you I would seriously consider whether you want to before just thinking it is a contingency plan 

Hey there,

You're certainly not crazy at all. I completed my MPT last year and am now entering my second year of medicine this fall. I'm probably about the same age as you as well, and while there are some who are much younger than I am who are in medicine, there are also people quite a few years older. Age is merely a number in the grand scheme of things; if you're truly interested in medicine, then I would strongly urge you to consider pursuing it - life is too short to settle. If you have questions about going from PT school to medical school, feel free to PM me.

I shadowed a physiatrist! Seemed like a cool job, but seemed very rewarding as this lady helped people walk again and things like this. And long before that I shadowed a physiotherapist. He was over 50 and we talked a lot and he mentioned to me he always thinks about going back for medical school, but the training is so long which is the biggest barrier to him at his age (lol). Despite this he still has these thoughts. He loves his job but he said he is routinely frustrated that he can't order and interpret X-rays. I'm not too sure about this stuff, but these were his thoughts. 

And youre not not too old! You're still so young. What is wrong with having an Md degree by age 30? :) 

Archived