Premed 101 Forums

University of Toronto Vs Mac for OT

Hi Everyone! 

I'm having a really hard time making a decision here, and as most of you know the deadline is fast approaching! I have read (in depth) this entire forum and found a lot of useful information regarding both programs. But despite all the help I still could use some more direction! My first question is what is the entire catchment area for Mac? I have read a lot about how you may go outside of Hamilton...but having a hard time understanding the exact boundaries of the catchment. The same for Toronto! For example is Guelph in either schools catchment area? Also, at Mac I'm wondering what the minimum average is to stay in the program? I understand at U of T you cannot get below a 70% in any class. Just curious if thats an across the board rule! Also does Mac do any research projects? I noticed at U of T that is part of the curriculum. 

Thanks for all your help, 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Hey! I had a choice between Toronto and Mac too and ended up going with Toronto. However, I think both schools are really excellent and you can't really make a wrong decision. I did my undergrad at McMaster and really enjoyed my time there. Personally I was ready for a change of scenery and have many friends and a place to live in Toronto so it was an easy choice for me. However here's some things for you to consider: 

• The immediate location. The Rehab Building at U of T is right in the middle of the city whereas I believe McMaster OT classes are in a building on the main campus, which is isolated from the city. You'll likely be living within commuting distance of your chosen school, so consider how you feel about living in either of these places. McMaster has a ton of student houses in the area surrounding the campus. There are also some smaller apartment buildings downtown that you could reach by bus. Housing in Toronto is much more diverse, from small rooms to condo living, but overall will be more expensive than Hamilton rent in terms of price for square footage.
  • The catchment area. I'm not sure about the exact range of each school's catchment area but to answer your question I believe Guelph is in McMaster's catchment area but not Toronto's. I've heard people on this forum say you should go to the school whose catchment area includes the area you eventually want to live, as the connections you make during placement may help you get a job afterwards, so that's something to consider.
  • The learning style. McMaster loves problem-based learning, which really works for some people but isn't for everyone. I think people that have a lot of internal motivation and interest do better with problem-based learning because it puts the owness on the students to find out answers for themselves. Other people (myself included) feel more comfortable with traditional lecture style which is what Toronto uses.

Those are the tips I have, I hope they were somewhat helpful. Don't stress too much over the decision, you will get a great education and meet amazing people whichever school you attend. Focus more on what is best for YOU and your educational and personal needs. Good luck with your decision!

I can comment of Mac PT - not 100% sure if this all applies to OT though. Mac's catchment runs from Niagara to Paris (east to west) and has Orangeville and Port Dover as its northern and southern borders. However, Mac ALSO has Northwestern Ontario placement options anywhere from Wawa to Kenora. So you have lots of options. 

Archived