Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Applicant - Publication requirement

Hi all,

I will be applying to UofT with a completed MSc degree (research-based) and saw that in order to be evaluated as a graduate applicant, at least one first-author publication must be provided. Would first-author conference abstracts that have been published in a medical journal count towards this requirement (each having their associated citation/reference)?

Are they looking for primary research articles only, or would any first-author pub suffice (ex. reviews, textbook chapters, book reviews, etc)?

Also, could manuscripts that have been submitted to a journal (with an associated manuscript number and email evidence) be listed in the supplemental academic CV, particularly under publications?

From my understanding they look at overall research productivity. So yes a first author conference abstract will help but clearly there are many graduate applicants who have conference pubs on top of first author publications. Therefore I wouldn't rely on just the abstract in order to be assessed as a graduate applicant. 
As for submitted abstracts (anything under review), I would argue that they can definitely be listed under the publications section (as long as you haven't received a rejection by the deadline) 

Archived