Premed 101 Forums

Surface pro vs new MacBook

Hey so I currently use an old MacBook and want to get a new computer for med. I'm currently debating between surface pro vs MacBook Pro..any suggestion?? With the new curriculum/record lectures, will I even use the surface stylus that much? If u are a current med student, what do you use? I am also considering an iPad +MacBookz

9 hours ago, kekappo said:

Hey so I currently use an old MacBook and want to get a new computer for med. I'm currently debating between surface pro vs MacBook Pro..any suggestion?? With the new curriculum/record lectures, will I even use the surface stylus that much? If u are a current med student, what do you use? I am also considering an iPad +MacBookz

Both would work, and it highly depends on individual note-taking preferences. Some of my classmates with surface pro laptops annotate almost entirely with the pen, while there are others who rarely use the pen.

do you guys get pdf slides of the lecture? and how is anatomy like? are ppt or slides given for this as well? 

Lastly, are the recorded lectures "word heavy?" (or mostly diagrams?)

51 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

Both would work, and it highly depends on individual note-taking preferences. Some of my classmates with surface pro laptops annotate almost entirely with the pen, while there are others who rarely use the pen.

4 hours ago, kekappo said:

do you guys get pdf slides of the lecture? and how is anatomy like? are ppt or slides given for this as well? 

Lastly, are the recorded lectures "word heavy?" (or mostly diagrams?)

Yes you will get the PDF slides of the lecture. Most lecture slides have one diagram and a few accompanying bullet points. However, similar to your undergraduate courses, the lecture slide formats vary with the lecturers. With the creation of more e-modules, hopefully this helps to standardize these a little more. 

I am in the older anatomy curriculum, so I will leave it to one of the newer bloods to answer questions pertaining to Anatomy.

Not at UofT.

The Surface Pro is definitely a lot more versatile. I was in Physical Therapy school (lectures were recorded) and I really enjoyed using the pen to annotate anatomy and I would draw diagrams for biomechanics and physiology classes.

As a macbook user, the ONLY thing I dislike about the Surface Pro is the software.. I hate windows, to me, it's unreliable, disorganized and too complicated for my needs... I use my macbook for watching the lectures while note-taking on one note on my Surface Pro, typing essays, browsing the internet, writing e-mails, etc.

My opinion is that for any science class, drawing diagrams/writing notes by hand is a lot more helpful that typing notes.

It's kinda of a waste of money and sometimes I'm a bit confused as to which device to bring with me, but I haven't found a device that has serves my needs perfectly yet.. 

Archived