Premed 101 Forums

GPA and Adjusted GPA

Hi all! 

This is possibly a silly question, but UBC only looks at your GPA at the start of the year, correct? And to have them use your adjusted gpa, you should have 90 credits with your worst year subtracted from your overall credit count at the beginning of the application cycle? 

A friend of mine mentioned needing to do 33 credits during his fourth year to get his gpa adjusted for this year's application cycle, but I thought UBC used your current gpa, at the start of the application cycle, to decide whether to grant you an interview?? 

Thanks in advance!  

On 2017-6-5 at 8:47 PM, ssmed said:

Hi all! 

This is possibly a silly question, but UBC only looks at your GPA at the start of the year, correct? And to have them use your adjusted gpa, you should have 90 credits with your worst year subtracted from your overall credit count at the beginning of the application cycle? 

A friend of mine mentioned needing to do 33 credits during his fourth year to get his gpa adjusted for this year's application cycle, but I thought UBC used your current gpa, at the start of the application cycle, to decide whether to grant you an interview?? 

Thanks in advance!  

UBC will calculate your oGPA or aGPA (if applicable) from eligible post secondary credits completed by June 1st of the year in which you are applying. So if you are applying this cycle for 2017/2018, UBC will use your grades completed until June 1st, 2017 to calculate your oGPA or aGPA which will determine your AQ for this cycle.

For them to use the aGPA calculation where they drop up to 30 credits from the year with your lowest academic average you must have 90 credits remaining that have been completed by June 1st, 2017.

From the UBC website:

"Adjusted academic average In addition to the overall academic average, an adjusted academic average is calculated for certain applicants. In the adjusted academic average the academic year with the lowest academic average will be dropped (if applicable). At most, 30 credits can be dropped. If more than 30 credits are presented in the worst academic year, the 30 credits with the lowest grades will be removed. In order to have the academic year with the lowest academic average dropped, applicants must have 90 credits with grades remaining by June 1 of the application year. Courses in progress from June 1 onward do not count toward the AGPA."

Archived