Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscopes

I had a quick question about stethoscopes. Do the schools provide them (I'm going to UOttawa), or do we have to purchase them ourselves. If we have to buy them ourselves, I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to purchase one? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm from uOttawa med. You have to purchase a stethoscope yourself (they're about 200$). Like others have said, I think you should wait until you start in August/September before buying a stethoscope. They'll provide you with all the info you'll need to make an informed purchase, so don't worry about it for now! :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 3:19 PM, Pippa756 said:

Is this one of these things that you should not appear with at the first class for fear of social exclusion :-)

The rule of stethoscopes for med students is, don't get anything "more advanced" than a Cardiology III or IV. If you get a master cardiology, be prepared to be chirped throughout medical school by friends, if you get an electronic stethoscope be prepared to be chirped to death by everyone. 

1 hour ago, Edict said:

The rule of stethoscopes for med students is, don't get anything "more advanced" than a Cardiology III or IV. If you get a master cardiology, be prepared to be chirped throughout medical school by friends, if you get an electronic stethoscope be prepared to be chirped to death by everyone. 

I guess it doesn't hold if you're hearing impaired ;-)

On 9/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, Edict said:

I think this mentality is the reason why people don't get it, but it shouldn't be. Mind you I got my electronic stethoscope when I started residency, and the only comments I get are "hey that's a nice stethoscope, how do you find it? I'm thinking of getting one"

I personally would never chirp a medical student for having a "more advance" stethoscope but I'm sure there are people who would which is a shame. We should really move past all this high-school BS and realize we are all adult learners.

Archived