Premed 101 Forums

Transferring programs

Hello guys,

Anyone who had experiences with transferring programs with UofToronto? Currently matched to Family Medicine super glad!!! After a long thought, I think that I would prefer internal medicine. During CaRMS, I ranked Family Over Internal, due to familial and job availability reasons. Now, I have started to regret. Especially that I finished with an internal elective at the end of clerkship, and I absolutely love the complexity of internal.

The problem is that I won't start any GIM rotations until mid-January, which is when the transferring process takes place (January- February). Anyone who went through the transfer process could shed light on which documents they require?? New LORS, new MSRP, new ITERS? The major problem is that since I won't be rotating in IM before January 2018, I won't have any uptodate LORS from internists....

I know that the chance of switch to internal in Ontario is dismal, due to the popularity and increase in competitiveness this year. I am personally geographically limited to Toronto, due to my family and significant other. Is the confidentiality maintained? If I am refused for a transfer, my current PD won't know?

I can't speak specifically for UofT, but generally things stay confidential in the earlier stages. Confidentiality generally applies in that your co-residents will not know (at least I assume that's the case in UofT - at a smaller institution gossip can spread despite this!). Your PD will know eventually, and the best time to involve them is early on - maybe not immediately, but whenever you have a "check-in" meeting. Your PD does not care about you being in their program but does want you to be happy and to succeed. 

Otherwise January is fine as the transfer process usually only *starts* then. It might not be finalized until April/May. Keep in mind that you are NOT eligible for the first iteration of the CaRMS R1 match, but can enter the second iteration in March as another option. For the transfer process, they will simply ask you to release your existing CaRMS file, though certainly fresh reference letters would be very helpful. 

When you do start GIM rotations in the winter, find a time with your staff to sit down and discuss your interests in IM. 

Feel free to PM about IM. I know several who made the transfer from FM to IM. One is just starting Cardiology fellowship. 

As a note, I would definitely not tell your PD unless you have a transfer spot confirmed because if you stay/do not get a spot, you could be in an awkward position. Most PDs are nice and want you to succeed and be happy in your career but you also don't necessarily want knowledge of an unsuccessful transfer to bias anyone against you in any way. 

53 minutes ago, polarbear89 said:

As a note, I would definitely not tell your PD unless you have a transfer spot confirmed because if you stay/do not get a spot, you could be in an awkward position. Most PDs are nice and want you to succeed and be happy in your career but you also don't necessarily want knowledge of an unsuccessful transfer to bias anyone against you in any way. 

Hey I certainly won't. That's why I am very worried about the confidentiality. I am happy where I am now in Family at UofT, but would still give it a try during transfer process to internal at Toronto and perhaps other Ontario schools! I hesitated a very long time when ranking, I could see myself in both.

I am pretty realistic that my chance is not quite high, since I will be only doing Internal rotations around Mid- Jan 2018, which is when transfer process takes place. I will perhaps try to book an elective in internal before at UofT (2-3 weeks)...Any good electives to suggest?:) Would it be important to meet with the PD of internal before the transfer process? Has anyone done this? I won't feel awkward discussing my interest during my GIM rotation with the staff, but not enough guts to email the PD and request a meeting prior to transfer process. Any thoughts?

Don't discount your time in family while you're waiting for the transfer process to open. It would help your chances, or even be necessary, to be spoken of highly by your home program. strive to impress everyone you meet until December.

Thanks guys... I will do my best at every rotation. 

I do happen to have 3 weeks elective before transfer process, anyone has good internal electives to suggest at UofT?? I wonder if it's worth it that I book an elective with PD of internal (endocrinology at SMH?? )?? thank you for your input!:)

I personally wonder if the PD of the program of interest has the most say during transfer process, or is it more objective and weighted by a few staff physicians compared to CaRMS???

1 hour ago, LostLamb said:

I don't have any experience but to reply to bearded frog, what I heard through the grapevine is that inter-school residency transfers are tough and rare.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:37 PM, bearded frog said:

Anyone know if its theoretically possible to transfer between programs of the same specialty in different provinces without re-carmsing? Like transfer Psych PGY2 from Ottawa to Calgary Psych PGY3 etc?

Honestly I have never seen it. Seems easier to transfer to just another program than between programs - which I thought was odd. Less politics in a sense I suppose. 

Theoretically though as I understand things it is possible. 

Makes sense, that each university allows their own residents to switch first, and then open the spots to other residents across the country.

In order to be considered a candidate for internal medicine transfer, does it mean that an internal resident at UofT has to apply for transfer as well? I.E: 1 spot out, 1 spot in?? I am still confused with the whole Ministry funding theory. Thanks guys for all your support!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Re: FM -> IM switch - if you are thinking of booking an elective in IM, make it CTU if you can. This is the best way to demonstrate good fit for IM.

Re: Interprovincial transfer (same specialty): I know of three transfers between provinces in the same specialty to be closer to family or a partner. One went through second round carms and 2 just emailed the program directors and went through some process/interview with the new program.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier is probably ideal so that you don't have to redo as much time. You may get some credit when you switch programs but usually you will switch into PGY1 of your new program regardless of your residency year in your original program. This obviously varies depending on how related your two specialties are in terms of overlap of rotations and on what your program director thinks is appropriate in your situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 10:37 PM, bearded frog said:

Anyone know if its theoretically possible to transfer between programs of the same specialty in different provinces without re-carmsing? Like transfer Psych PGY2 from Ottawa to Calgary Psych PGY3 etc?

Yes it is possible. I know two people who transferred from one province to another in a competitive specialty. Usually it is a family/personal reason. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, has anyone successfully transferred programs at University of Toronto? If so, if you could private message me, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a few questions about the transfer process. 

Just finished off my CTU rotation, has great feedbacks and evaluations, I am hoping to transfer from FM to IM at UofT, if it does not work. I will enter second iteration of CaRMS. Has anyone successfully transferred within the same province (i.e: FM To IM within Ontario or other programs switch)?

Word of wisdom, for carms rankings, always rank what you will love end up doing to get you out of bed at 6 am, otherwise, you will end up regretting:)

• 3 months later...

Hey guys currently applying to transfer to internal medicine at University of Toronto... Anyone know if they have released interview invites?

I called the secretary of IM today and was told to wait for the PGME reply for acceptance & refusal by email, I am preparing for a possible refusal. Let me know if you have heard anything for transferring to IM within UofT, it would be greatly appreciated than gruelling waiting until the end of this week!

Thanks so much.

Archived