Premed 101 Forums

2017 Backpack Colour Vote is Live!

25 minutes ago, HalfBaked said:

Likewise, I prefer black to for its universality and discretion. But let's be honest, there is a stigma associated with the color pink because it is seen as a girly color due to decades of marketing going in that sense. If you gave the choice between bright green or bright pink, I'm pretty sure bright green would win it. 

You're one of those professionally offended types, aren't you?

1 hour ago, HalfBaked said:

I don't see why I would be offended by a backpack's color?

You're right pink is often seen as girly and would probably lose to bright green.. but both pink and bright green would lose to red - the reason being is that they are very flashy / showy offy (I just made that word up). There is also timing; It would be special if our cohort had red bags in honour of Canada's 150th anniversary, since the end goal for most of us is to become physicians who serve Canadians.

Back to the flashiness, I can't stand showing off man. It’s literally my biggest pet peeve. I'm talking mainly about shallow, empty-minded people who walk around with expensive and flashy items seeking attention because they think that items of value make them of value. That shit pisses me off man. I had to earn everything man, the majority of my earnings from working during full-time studies went to supporting my family, not myself. I paid for all my tuition, cost of living, MCAT, laptop with ZERO financial backing. I applied to every fucking scholarship and bursary I was eligible for, and even ones that I wasn’t eligible for. I put in the hours to get a GPA worthy of med school, I woke up at 5 AM every fucking day to do 2 hours of CARS practice during the summer before going to my full time job. So I honestly cannot stand it when people think they are better than everyone else because they own expensive things that they haven’t earned.

Sorry for the rant, but I’m extremely proud of where I come from and I went on a tangent but fuck it I’m gonna post it anyway. Anyway, I think the stigma could be involved, but it’s not the main reason why red is the way to go. 

3 hours ago, Révolue said:

It is not about genders. Some people just don't like to look flashy.

maybe but those backpacks certainly haven't been shy about the colour from that regard. Bright red, blue, green, orange........ They aren't all that bright but I would say more than not they are. 

These bags after all are a form of advertising - doesn't do them much good if they are completely invisible. 

3 hours ago, HalfBaked said:

I personally think pink is an amazing statement against heteronormativity, which is good since as doctors we try to be open minded and have as little bias/prejudices as possible. Why would pink not be considered as manly as any other color. 

on a purely practical note - if they never are going to go with pink, then it seem wrong to keep including it as an option and constantly not pick it over other options that were ranked less. 

Now this year there are other things at play - but I pink seems to have been on the poll for years, and options not even on the poll were picked, ha. I know it is for hype and marketing but still. 

a kind of fuchsia wouldn't have looked that far out of place with the bright green and orange phase. 

3 hours ago, Sauna said:

You're right pink is often seen as girly and would probably lose to bright green.. but both pink and bright green would lose to red - the reason being is that they are very flashy / showy offy (I just made that word up). There is also timing; It would be special if our cohort had red bags in honour of Canada's 150th anniversary, since the end goal for most of us is to become physicians who serve Canadians.

Back to the flashiness, I can't stand showing off man. It’s literally my biggest pet peeve. I'm talking mainly about shallow, empty-minded people who walk around with expensive and flashy items seeking attention because they think that items of value make them of value. That shit pisses me off man. I had to earn everything man, the majority of my earnings from working during full-time studies went to supporting my family, not myself. I paid for all my tuition, cost of living, MCAT, laptop with ZERO financial backing. I applied to every fucking scholarship and bursary I was eligible for, and even ones that I wasn’t eligible for. I put in the hours to get a GPA worthy of med school, I woke up at 5 AM every fucking day to do 2 hours of CARS practice during the summer before going to my full time job. So I honestly cannot stand it when people think they are better than everyone else because they own expensive things that they haven’t earned.

Sorry for the rant, but I’m extremely proud of where I come from and I went on a tangent but fuck it I’m gonna post it anyway. Anyway, I think the stigma could be involved, but it’s not the main reason why red is the way to go. 

I totally agree with you, red would be my second option after black, mostly because it's my favourite colour and it would totally match with my new university colours. It would be even better it's red&white because that would also ressemble Montreal's colours and we're celebrating our 375th anniversary, soo yaaayy! (little city-patriotism here, sorry.) Also, I'm not saying pink should be chosen over red because of the stigma it holds, but just that if it ever happens that wouldn't be the worst thing because of the reason I mentioned above. 

As for your amazing parcours, this is truly inspiring and you have absolutely every rights to feel proud of your accomplishments! I strongly believe all those obstacles you overcame will make a much more rounded doctor as you will be more aware of how some socioeconomic inequalities can affect healthcare access & quality. That's something we do and need to continue doing in the health community, and your unique perspective on this matter is going to enrich your practice.

Cheers!

On 2017-06-09 at 8:46 PM, Soda_can_med said:

Can it even be orange, blue or green, since the past few years have been those colours. It's basically going to be red, black or pink. Since the whole point of the backpack is for it to stick out in public, it comes down to red and pink, and I have a feeling red would make more sense with the Canada and 150 years theme.

Most of the colors have been done. The bag has a decade plus of tradition behind it. You only have so many flashy colors to pick from.

For instance, I see med students around today with blue bags, almost the exact same shade of blue as that used by my own class. Makes me nostalgic when I see them in blue groups. :)

2 hours ago, Cain said:

These backpack colors are garish because they are an ad for MD Management. Black won't do as good a job getting attention as bright neon pink.

and that add only works in a sense when there is this large obvious "pack" of students are easily identifiable roaming together. Something to get all the premeds jealous ha. 

On 6/10/2017 at 10:18 PM, rmorelan said:

maybe but those backpacks certainly haven't been shy about the colour from that regard. Bright red, blue, green, orange........ They aren't all that bright but I would say more than not they are. 

These bags after all are a form of advertising - doesn't do them much good if they are completely invisible. 

That's true :( So they're basically paying us in the form of a free backpack to advertise for them. 

2 hours ago, Sauna said:

That's true :( So they're basically paying us in the form of a free backpack to advertise for them. 

heheheh and you are doing it with a big smile on your face :) 

honestly it is pretty brilliant. Other places would kill for that kind of exposure.  

Archived