Premed 101 Forums

When to send in recommendation letters?

Hi,

Fellow Canadian here. I was wondering how letters of recommendation/evaluation work for the US system. Are they evaluated along with the primary/secondary apps to determine whether or not I get an interview or can I get my interview invitation without sending in any letters?

I have submitted my AMCAS app and school transcript. My file is currently being verified by AMCAS. However, I am unable to obtain my letters until July/Aug when my evaluators/referees come back from summer vacation. How does this affect my chances?

That is potentially a big deal. Most schools do not look at and evaluate your file until it is complete, which means that they have received the primary, secondary, MCAT score and ref letters. So I would recommend finding another referee(s) and submit the ref letters asap (latest by when you submit the secondaries).

As said above, you will probably be able to fill out secondary applications, but your application is incomplete and will NOT be reviewed until reference letters arrive. July/August is starting to be late (and you could run into problems like people not submitting it when they say they will, etc., further delaying it), so I highly recommend you do whatever you can do get them in earlier.

Archived