Premed 101 Forums

McGill GPA Calculation

Hey! 

Can someone clarify how McGill calculates GPA. Based on these blurbs from their website:

"Candidates applying to the DMD program who have completed the seven required prerequisite courses and who have also completed introductory level university courses in molecular biology, cell biology, mammalian physiology and organic chemistry will be evaluated on whichever of the two is the most favourable to the candidate."

"Following the MMI, the final ranking list for DMD applicants is based 80% on the MMI score and 20% science GPA."

(Assuming you didn't do a second degree) do they look at all grades (except for the year you're currently in), OR only use grades from science courses, OR only use grades from the prerequisite courses they have listed to calculate GPA?? I was under the impression they dropped your lowest year but that doesn't seem to be the case, but I'm also not sure I understand how it does work haha

For the undergraduate GPA, McGill looks at all classes taken in the course of a bachelor's (so if you took a summer course as an independent student, it wouldn't count, but it would count if it were going towards your degree). The undergraduate GPA is the main basis for receiving an MMI invite. They do not drop your lowest year, and you need to be in your last year of undergrad to be able to apply.

The 7 science prereqs need to be completed but only come into play POST-interview (80% MMI and 20% Science GPA). The degree GPA no longer comes into play at this point.

On 2017-6-11 at 5:55 PM, Haribo7173 said:

For the undergraduate GPA, McGill looks at all grades taken in the course of a bachelor's (so if you took a summer course as an independent student, it wouldn't count, but it would count if it were going towards your degree). The undergraduate GPA is the main basis for receiving an MMI invite. They do not drop your lowest year, and you need to be in your last year of undergrad to be able to apply.

The 7 science prereqs need to be completed but only come into play POST-interview (80% MMI and 20% Science GPA). The degree GPA no longer comes into play at this point.

Hey Haribo! If you don't mind, could you let me know where it says that? I've been researching my options for the last 3 months and don't remember coming across this stipulation for McGill dent. Or is this a requirement if you're applying based on your first undergrad (I've been looking into second degree policies)?

^Yes the second degree policy is different:

• After having completed a bachelor's degree that meets our requirements, applicants may be considered on the basis of a second undergraduate degree. A minimum of 45 new consecutive graded credits completed on a full-time basis must be completed by the November 1st application deadline. Completing the degree is not mandatory, but very strongly recommended.

https://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/4-year-dmd-program/requirements

Archived