Premed 101 Forums

Required Courses At the Same Time

I am going into my second year at Western and I decided to make a mock timetable for my third and fourth years of university. I am currently in medical science and I am planning to also pursue a minor or diploma in french as well. However, when making my mock timetable for fourth year I found that a mandatory course for the honours specialization I am interested in is only available at the same time as a mandatory french course which also only occurs at that one time. Obviously, this isn't an issue for me right now, but the class times tend to be consistent from year to year so this can be an issue for me in the future. I was wondering if anyone has pursued, for example, a double major that had mandatory courses for each major conflicting? Also, because this is an issue for the future, if I notify academic counselling from now do you think they could avoid them being in the same time slot in following years? Unfortunately, both of these courses seem like classes where attendance will be necessary so enrolling in both but only attending one will probably not be an option.

A lot of courses change times/days/professors from year to year, especially if you are looking 2 years ahead. I found that 4th year courses in particular change a lot because they tend to be very specific courses. I really don't think it's something you should worry about 2 years in advance, academic counselling won't be able to do anything about it at the moment.

I've had two required courses within my major (not even due to a double major/minor) be scheduled at the same time once, everyone in the major that year was kinda screwed up by that, but they couldn't change the time. I'd recommend that you talk to your advisor; they probably can't do anything about the course scheduling, but they'll be able to help you with perhaps rearranging your schedule so that you can take one of the classes one year before or after. 

On 6/12/2017 at 1:10 PM, lulu95 said:

I've had two required courses within my major (not even due to a double major/minor) be scheduled at the same time once, everyone in the major that year was kinda screwed up by that, but they couldn't change the time. I'd recommend that you talk to your advisor; they probably can't do anything about the course scheduling, but they'll be able to help you with perhaps rearranging your schedule so that you can take one of the classes one year before or after. 

Same thing happened to me at my school. The Department ended up making an exception for everyone in my year that we could take another similar course to make up for the requirement.

Main thing here is to identify a potential conflict early (you have clearly realized this well in advance!) and to be proactive. Usually if it's not in your control, depending on how strict your school is, changes can be made for you to get your degree on schedule.

Thank you so much to everyone that replied. 

@lulu95 That really sucks! How did everyone in your program manage it? Did one prof just not have anyone show up?

And @Monkey D. Luffy Thank you so much for your reply! I had actually not considered the option of taking an alternative to make up the requirement and I am sure our French department has similar courses even though they just have that one listed as a required class. I will definitely talk to academic counselling!

Archived