Premed 101 Forums

Facial Hair and Hair Length During Electives/Interviews

I'm wondering whether anyone has any thoughts or experiences pertaining to facial hair and hair length during fourth year. 

I have long hair (always kept tied up) and a beard. It took me quite some time to grow this out. I'll be applying to a non surgical medical specialty and am wondering whether I should go clean shaven with short hair for electives and interviews. 

If it looks good and you're comfortable with it, keep it.

Just make sure you maintain it well and you work hard, are teachable and treat everyone right, it shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think your personal appearance is going to have any significant negative impact on your evaluations unless you happen to have poor teamwork, don't get along with others and/or dyed your hair some weird colour as well as have a million piercings on your face.

We talked about some interesting accessories worn by the candidates post interview. As long as you are well-groomed, you will be okay. The look would just help us remember you, which may be good or bad. You'd probably be referred to as 'that guy with the beard.'

Bottomline, you either bomb the interview or you are some version of generic. 19/20 people are the same in most ways. Doing these interviews I'm reaching for anything to differentiate you from the mass of generic...

Standing out in a neutral way is not a bad thing IMHO. You rock that hipster beard. ;)

Any program the polices my hair is not a program that I want to be in. After all, Hippocrates and Osler had glorious facial hair. 

Archived