Premed 101 Forums

Med-P winter schedule

Ania008

Hello,

I have a problem with my winter schedule. In fact, I enrolled in a complementary course that I would really like to take, but this one is in conflict with the biology course: BIOL 201 (Cell Biology & Metabolism). Unfortunately, there are two out of three lectures that I miss per week because of that complementary course. I have heard that scientific courses are recorded , but is it enough to only listen to the recordings ? Is attendance optional or mandatory for this specific class ? 

All opinions are welcomed :) 

Thank you ! 

I went to McGill and never went to recorded lectures (biggest waste of time).. Use that time to enjoy life :D, you won't really have one when real med school starts

I was recently speaking with someone in med who enrolled in two overriding classes in undergrad at McGill for exactly that reason. Recordings were not a problem, but you might run into difficulty with the exam schedule. This person had two exams scheduled at the same time and was not granted any accommodation by the professors, or the dean of students. They had to drop one class past the drop deadline, leaving them with a "W" (withdrawal) on their transcript... which isn't good. Based on this, I wouldn't register for two concurrent classes unless I knew I could complete all required coursework, including midterms/exams, during scheduled times. 

^ Good point. This is true, but try to take a look at exam schedule right now if available.  Sometimes midterms are scheduled in the evening. I ran into that issue as well (2 classes overriding) and unless you're really unlucky, they are probably not going to be on the same day. You can see that in the course plan right now. O/w send an email to the profs right now. My prof accommodated me when that happened! 

That's true. For smaller classes, exams are usually held during class time. For larger classes (e.g.: phgy 209, 210), exams are held in the evening on a random weekday. 

It is also very possible that you register for 2 classes at different times and that these 2 classes have a midterm at the same time! Therefore, professors are usually very accommodating and big classes always have "back-up" midterms since there will ALWAYS be at least one person who deferred (for phgy 209/210, the midterm would be scheduled 1-2 weeks later).

Some professors are very clear about not allowing students to register for 2 classes at the same time (e.g.: Dr. Cain from MUAR 211). However, the funny thing is, I know people who literally deferred every quiz/test/etc. without a doctor's note or any valid proof... He's a nice prof ;) 

If it does happen that you have 2 midterms at the same time/date and the prof is not accommodating, you could always defer one of them for a "medical reason". They would not be able to refuse if you showed valid proof... It's not the right thing to do but a very large percentage of students defer exams for non-serious reasons... Apparently, deferring a final exam will leave you with an "L" next to your final grade on your official transcript, but deferring a midterm won't leave any trace.

Is it possible to know in advance when the exams are going to be held ? I don't have access to the courses plan yet... At least I think so because when I checked mycourses I couldn't have access to these plans ... So I was wondering what I can do now to avoid all the problems mentioned above. The bio course that overlaps with my complementary course is spread on 3 hours per week. Is it possible that exams are held during the lecture time even though it lasts only 1 hour ? Also, I hear from previous med-p students that the exams for science classes are usually held in evening ? How can this be possible while many students have very different schedule due to their complementary courses ? 

Typically for large undergrad courses, the profs themselves don't make the final exam schedule - the university does. Usually it's only released about halfway through the semester. Exams could be scheduled in the evenings if this is during final exams week(s), once all classes are over - so you should not have a class conflict with a final exam. Midterms and other evaluations are typically scheduled by the profs, so you should be able to find out when these are held once the course outline is posted, usually on or shortly before the first day of class. Unfortunately it's often not possible to know your final exam schedule until later. 

Does someone knows how to quit a program online? I recently got accepted in another University in my first choice so I want to leave the program that I'm registered here in McGill, but can't find nowhere how to do this on Minerva...can someone please help? Someone si probably waiting impatiently for me to drop my place!

On 2017-06-15 at 7:07 PM, Luffy123 said:

Does someone knows how to quit a program online? I recently got accepted in another University in my first choice so I want to leave the program that I'm registered here in McGill, but can't find nowhere how to do this on Minerva...can someone please help? Someone si probably waiting impatiently for me to drop my place!

Call Admissions and ask

Archived