Premed 101 Forums

need some advice for UoT dental

3.9 to 3.925 can likely get an interview but it isn't guaranteed! It will come down to a strong DAT with scores in the 20s.

I'd say 3.90 is a bit uncertain to interview while 3.92 is quite likely.

I did my DAT on Nov 2016. I started lightly reviewing in the summer (10 hours a week in August only) and did some more studying during Sept and Oct for 10 to 20 hours a week depending on the week and it worked out for me. You will be fine with your proposed study plan!

15 minutes ago, Steins;Gate said:

3.9 to 3.925 can likely get an interview but it isn't guaranteed! It will come down to a strong DAT with scores in the 20s.

I did my DAT on Nov 2016. I started lightly reviewing in the summer (10 hours a week in August only) and did some more studying during Sept and Oct for 10 to 20 hours a week depending on the week and it worked out for me. You will be fine with your proposed study plan!

Thanks so much for the reply! Quick question: how did you prep for the DAT? I'm a bit worried about the perceptual test. Also, does the DAT change from year to year, or not really? I was thinking of maybe buying some DAT prep books this year and just reading a bit to get ahead for next summer and be more comfortable with the material.

My advice for the science section is to take courses that cover those topics. The bio section is pretty much how many random facts do you know about those topics.

Chemistry is very basic. You'll excel in it if you've taken first year chem and did well. Of course study it all again (the equations and their relationships etc.), but it helps a lot.

I took a lot of courses that covered DAT material during undergrad and after studying 1.5-2 weeks using the Kaplan Blue Book, I received a high score. DAT Destroyer helps too.

Fam... That's a blessed GPA. Just aim 4.0 second year and do well on the DAT and trust me you'll get an interview at uoft. I advise you to write the DAT twice, once in Nov, and then second and final in Feb of your second year. Scores on the Feb DAT tend to be higher, and also writing it in Nov will give you a better idea of the exam and possibly remove any stress when you write it again in Feb. I also recommend studying this summer, you should be studying right now and utilizing your summer so that you don't have to put a lot of hours into the DAT during the school year and potentially risk your GPA. You can do it! Try to stick to the prereqs as well and don't take crazy hard classes if you don't have to. You're in a good position right now just stay focused and hopefully this time next year you'll be applying!

39 minutes ago, Dentistry101 said:

Fam... That's a blessed GPA. Just aim 4.0 second year and do well on the DAT and trust me you'll get an interview at uoft. I advise you to write the DAT twice, once in Nov, and then second and final in Feb of your second year. Scores on the Feb DAT tend to be higher, and also writing it in Nov will give you a better idea of the exam and possibly remove any stress when you write it again in Feb. I also recommend studying this summer, you should be studying right now and utilizing your summer so that you don't have to put a lot of hours into the DAT during the school year and potentially risk your GPA. You can do it! Try to stick to the prereqs as well and don't take crazy hard classes if you don't have to. You're in a good position right now just stay focused and hopefully this time next year you'll be applying!

Oh shoot, I didn't even realize that I may have to write the DAT this year. I was planning on getting through this year and learning orgo, etc. and then studying for the DAT next summer and writing the DAT in November of my 3rd year and then apply for dental school. Is this even possible? When are dental applications due? Thanks so much for the information, you've been very helpful.

1 hour ago, aspiringdentist said:

Oh shoot, I didn't even realize that I may have to write the DAT this year. I was planning on getting through this year and learning orgo, etc. and then studying for the DAT next summer and writing the DAT in November of my 3rd year and then apply for dental school. Is this even possible? When are dental applications due? Thanks so much for the information, you've been very helpful.

You can do the November DAT, but they don't consider the February DAT if it's taken in the admission year. You can definitely do well just doing it once, which is what a lot of people have done (including myself), but I probably would have tried to do it more in hindsight.

Dental applications are due at the beginning of November.

Also, since you mentioned orgo I just wanted to remind you that the Canadian DAT doesn't have an orgo section. I also heard that UofT might be considering the American DAT now, which has additional sections but more frequent tests throughout the year if that interests you. Not sure if Western does it, but you can always call to clarify.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:33 PM, Steins;Gate said:

Hey! Just out of curiosity, what range of GPA/DAT scores would most likely guarantee an interview at UofT? I know it's not something you can weigh in on definitively, but seems like you are well aware of admission competitiveness and what not. Would highly appreciate your input! Thanks :) 

Archived